Macophot infrared 35 mm, and canon

frdchang

is the macophot infrared film compatible with the led counting canons?

anyone tried infrared and a holga? <--(i want to use infrared but my

darn canon ruins the infrared...and the ilford sfx isn't 'infrareddy'

enough for me'... plus holga is cheap!)

actually i have another question. Is there a big difference when

using ilford sfx and a no 25 red versus no 29 red? i used the no. 25

red and the infrared effect was very subtle. (should i buy a no. 29

red?)

thanks,

fred

I don't think there is as much info about the macophot as other infrareds. Aren't holgas the cheap cameras that tend to leak light? I am not really sure but I would say they would be a bad idea for IR.

Have you tried the Konica? I have a ElanIIE and I used the konica no problem. Haven't tried Kodak yet, though. Also for the SFX I would go to a #70 red. I think it will still work with the SFX and give you more of the wood effect. On the IR FAQ there are spec sheets for the films and filters, see if the 70 isn't too dense and then try that.

-C

I have run two or three rolls of the Maco IR through my Holga so far and with fairly impressive results. I have a 25 Red filter thread mounted to the front of a Holga flash model and most of the body gets wrapped with foil and tape to prevent any light leaks. The combination of the IR effects and that classic Holga quality have been quite inspiring. I would recommend trying it--especially if you are a Holga lover.

Have fun!

Michael D. D'Avignon

You should take into consideration that since macophot has spectral sensitivity of up to 850nm in the infrared range, (much much higher than Konica or SFX, but not quite as high as HIE or EIR) it should be handled in the exact same manner as HIE - loaded and unloaded in complete darkness. Especially because the Holga tends to produce fat rolls, ie does not maintain much tension in the film advance, causing the reels to be loose and leak light onto the edges of the frame once removed from the camera. Other than that, swathe the bejeesus out of holga, and she should be fine.

As far as the Canon is concerned, I personally would trust the plastic fantastic more than I would trust those sinister little electronic doodads. But a test roll wouldn't put too much of a dent in the pocket, now would it? Let us know how it pans out...

• 4 weeks later...

i shoot with an F5, the counter never exposes the film. but i have heard rumor of led fog. test it. it possible that you are mishandling the film. heat exposes IR film as well as light. Ir light can't be seen(duh...) so make sure that when you load and unload, it's pretty much light tight in that area.

suggestion for holga take up... take double weight paper, fold it over two or three times and wrap it with electrical tape. put a small curve in it to match the roll film and insert to fill the space and put tension on the take up reel. same can be done for other side. i've done, it works. nice, tight rolls.

and for IR shooting, i reccommend the 87 or 87c filters. opaque to all light other than infrared. in camera meter at iso 25 or 50 cover with filter and shoot. i reccommend gelatin filters so you can focus. just hold it over the lens. don't back focus your camersa! the distance is something like .1 mm, almost impossible to guage. just stop down to 16+ and let DOF do the rest...

i have some IR images shot this way downloaded, check em out, you'll see it works. process in xtol 1:3. sorry, i forget the time. or d76 1:1 11 min/ stock 9min.