Teipod for macro/closeup

simon_t1

<p>Hi,<br />I have an excelent sturdy Manfrotto 190B since 1996 changed its head but never the legs. But its a bit resrticted for macro. Any recomendations for an add on, if exists to it for macro or closeup. If not a model suitable for macro/closeup work.<br />Thanks in advance,<br />Simon.</p>

<p>I have the 190 too but mine is a pro. The difference between the pro and non pro is the macro capability, or rather the ability to remove the center column and either mount it upside down or sideways so you can get further down or get the legs out of the way. You can also remove the column if you want to get the pod really low. If you like the 190 then maybe look for a pro version. They usually go cheap. As for add ons, I assume you are finding it hard to get low and close to the subject without the legs getting in the way? I don't think there are any stable add ons that will do that. You could try making an extension bracket plate but it will most probably not be sturdy. Or get longer macro lens :)<br>

But seriously, I think the pro version of the 190 or even 055 is exactly what you want and they are cheap.</p>

<p>As an 'add on' you can get a Bogan/Manfrotto Superclamp with a screw stud adapter. The clamp will attach to the leg wherever you want it and you can move the head to the screw. If you go to ebay type Superclamp and you'll likely see both the clamp and the stud.<br>

I used to use this setup with a less solid tripod than the 190 (I used it on the 3001 series) and it worked very well. I hiked with the setup too.</p>

<p>There are several tripods ideally suited for closeups, including various Benbo models and the Gitzo "Explorer" series. In these tripods the leg angle is continuously adjustable, also the angle of the column with respect to the legs. You can loosen the adjustments, hold the camera where you want it then tighten everything down, and it will stay there (pretty much).</p>

<p>The downside is that it takes coordination between both hands and at least one foot to move the legs and column where you want them. The same is required for routine shots as well as for contorted setups. This gets pretty old after a while. Nor do they fold up easily, making them bulky and hard to carry.</p>

<p>I've found I can do nearly everything my Benbo can do, using a conventional Gitzo (or whatever) tripod with discrete leg angle settings, and a good ball head.</p>

<p>I'm an old-timer who believes that the steadier you want your shot, the heavier the tripod. That's why I haven't purchased a composite tripod that's light but strong? Wind blows light tripods over. Any decent, respected brand name will do you if it's got muscle and weight. <br>

The way to make a light tripod heavy and sturdy is to tie a triangular rag to each leg and in the pouch in the center, put a big rock. I've seen it done, but never tried it.<br>

With those big tripods, the basic problem is getting into a position to take a closeup. With a tank tripod, I shorten two legs then open the third full length, so two legs are at 90 degrees and the third leg is 30 degrees. Then I've improvised. I dug out a closeup bellows -- THAT'S why I don't throw anything away -- and modified the rail so that it holds the camera. The bellows is obsolete because it only holds FD lenses. I attach that to the camera and with a tripod that doesn't have two legs in the way, I can get pretty close to stuff. With my 100 2.8L macro, the rail and the camera, I get about 15 inches past the center post of the tripod. Mirror up, live view focus, bracketing, reflectors for shadow and soft fill ... nice stuff. So far, I've only used it on medical stuff in clinical studies for a local medical school -- that I can't show. But I'll post the first time I shoot a bug or something like that and get the guts enough to show my stuff beside yours. </p>