Hello Everyone!

nbjc

<p>Hi! MY name is Naomi and I recently found this site. I hope that I can learn what I need to learn here. I have a Canon XT and enjoy shooting flowers and insects and sunrises -- THOSE are the things that turn out well! I would like to be able to take nice portraits and improve my composition and get a "professional" shine to my photos. I want to learn to edit well using GIMP, layers and masking and such. I have PS7 and would like to learn to use that well, too. <br>

I hope to learn a lot from everyone and maybe one day help someone else as well.<br>

Naomi</p>

<p>Welcome to PN, Naomi! There are so many great people here who are willing to share their experience. You may wish to start by taking a look at <a href="../learn/portraits/">'Portraits</a>,' under the Learning Tab at the top of the page. It was written by PN's founder, Phillip Greenspun. You wil get a lot of great tips from this, and it will give you a hint of the kind of dedicated people you're going to encounter here.</p>

<p>Hi Naomi..... Welcome to PN from the big island. Your gallery is starting to show some good images.... so maybe it's time to ask for a critique or two and see what the community says!<br>

Yes this is an amazing site with a very learned community who are only too pleased to share their knowledge if asked. So "ask and ye shall receive"(smiles).<br>

See you around the site.<br>

Regards</p>

<p>Thanks! It is so nice to get responses from people who not only can comment to help me improve, but who actually *do* comment to help me improve.<br>

Thanks so much. I do think that I have a lot of nice photos. Some are very good. The problem is replicating the effects! haha I don't know what I did most of the time. For instance, how is it that I get a very sharp subject and blur out the background? How can I do that on purpose?<br>

I think I am going to learn that this is the best $25 bucks I have spent in a long time!<br>

Naomi</p>

<p>Hi and welcome aboard. In answer to your last question, use large aperture settings (low f stop numbers). So, for example, if you are shooting a head and shoulders portrait, try something like a 70mm setting on the lens and a low f stop setting (e.g. f4 or even f2.8 if you can). Then focus on your subject's nearest eye & see what happens!</p>