Smokies Fall Color

bob_cook

<p>I've got two more weeks before we head up to the Smokies, but here on the Cumberland plateau (2000 +/- feet elevation) it's a mixed bag. In some areas the colors seem to have peaked, in others, not so much. Apparently, it's varying in the Smokies with elevation. Check this out:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fallcolor.htm">http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fallcolor.htm</a></p>

<p>At least, in November, most of the leaf-peeper tourists will be gone....:-)</p>

<p>Every year you can find a fall colour thread at http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/bbs.cgi?a=vf22 <br>

For low elevation stream shots, the next couple of weeks should be good, unless a significant weather event occurs. Water levels are low. Overnight showers tonight might help a little.<br>

The high elevation colour in the Park was at peak a few days ago and will rapidly disappear.</p>

<p>Bob, It should be nice. I was on the parkway last week and some areas seemed past peak. But, at the bottom of the hill on 215 around the French Broad it looked very nice. I can not say that our dry summer or wet spring has anything to do with it, but so far it has been a real disapointment, just like last year. Maybe the awful drought of two years past has something to do with it. I do believe what you see there this weekend will be the best it will get.</p>
derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

<p>Thanks to all. We went thru Gatlinburg today on our way to Raleigh. I'll be back there tomorrow night and start shooting on Tuesday am. Supposed to rain on Monday, so that may help the water a little. Color looked spotty. It has been dry and hot, so I'll be surprised if the color is really anything special.</p>

<p>went to West Virginia this weekend. I'm not sure that color is at peak in the Smokies yet, but in WV and here in KY and IN, where we haven't had any rain, there wasn't much color. It went straight from green to brown. When you're in the midst of the forest, the colors are decent, but from high overlooks where you see it all at once, its isn't too great. Hopefully the Smokies will be better, but if its been as dry there as here, I wouldn't expect too much color. I would suggest finding some streams and getting some shots from within the trees. My moving water shots from last weekend were much better with regards to color than the ones from high lookouts.</p>

<p>I agree with Nathan. I was in North Georgia (2500' elevation) this past weekend. Color in the stream valley was better than from high overlooks. However, I did find a couple of high overlooks where close trees had quite vivid yellows, oranges and reds (in order of prominence). Personally, I think the colors were better than they've been in many years in the same location. The folks I talked to locally said color should be even better this coming weekend, but that was before the heavy rain Monday that knocked down a lot of leaves.</p>

<p>Well, we're back from the Smokies today. I would say the color was not great. A few pockets here and there. I worked quite a bit on Roaring Fork and found a couple of shots, as well as a shot or two up the Greenbrier area. Cades Cove was terrible, plus it was absolutely jammed with people. But, still had a good time, got to burn some film, and I have the anticipation waiting for it to come back from the processor. Dropping a roll of 120 on my light box still gives me a kick.</p>