Developing 4x5 with the infamous FR tank, success

cj8281

<p>Ok, I just developed 10 sheets of 4x5 Delta 100 in an old FR tank, used HC110 at dilution H for 12½ minutes and they came out, well.... actually rather nice. </p>

<p>My secret, you might ask, duct tape.<br>

And a cork.</p>

<p>I found that if you cut off just under a ¼ inch off the end of a 15/16 cork it will fit the fill hole of the FR tank. I duct taped the outside edge of the tank, put a small piece over the vent hole and then I did the unthinkable, I used inversion agitation with it. I am sure that I am not the first person to think of this. I used 24ml of HC110 in 1512ml of water, which was good. And yes it did leak, a lot more than I hoped it would. I ended up with only 1380ml of developer after the 12½ minutes were up, and I did have to retape, twice. I did save the old developer to see how much I had lost and how high it would be in the tank. 1380ml is only down on the film by about 1/16 of an inch with 10 sheets loaded. When I was washing, I filled the tank with that much water to see. Yes it did make a bit of a mess. I think I am going to rethink my sealing system a bit more. Probably not much but a bit. </p>

<p>Okay now honestly, how many of you laughed when you saw the picture?</p><div>00XVH9-291499784.jpg.75d55cd91f19ab23a21bf1bb026e0446.jpg</div>

<p>I don't as yet have any developers that I can stand develop with. I currently have only HC110 and D76. I had a few scrap pieces of film that I tried to do the tray develop method and they came out all scratched up. I got this tank from a friend of mine and read how it was poor for developing. I read how the "right" way to agitate this tank was to rock it and that you usually ended up with surge markings on your negative. I figured that this might work a bit better to evenly move the chemistry around. Everything turned out really well. I did my inversions over my sink after it started leaking the worse. These were also my first shots with my Crown Graphic. I would post some scans but I can't get my scanner to do a decent job of it.</p>

<p>i have a few fr tanks and since they hold so much fluid i never thought of inverting them ...<br>

i pretty much stand develop my sheets in there using coffee and a little print developer and get nice results. i have kept away from using the tanks mainly because the are such a PITA to load with film ... other than that .... they do a nice job ...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think you need to upgrade to aluminum duct tape.<br>

Seriously, you might want to think about finding a Jobo tank, with a stopper, and simply rolling it back and forth across a counter. I did that before getting a Jobo motorized processor, and it was much much better than the devil-spawn FR tank.<br>

I gotta say, do admire a man who knows when to use duct tape, though. Let us know if you figure out a way to add a big vise-grip pliers.</p>

<p>This made my night! I have a speed graphic and have been trying to figure out a way to develop the film. A friend gave me this same tank recently (found at his parent's basement). I may actually have the nerve to try and load it and fill her up now. </p>

<p>Not sure about the tape though- I may try a silicon gasket. Really like the cork idea!<br>

Thanks for this (the tape made me laugh),</p>

<p>Matt </p>

<p>Get a Jobo tank and the 2560N cut-film adapter. No leaks, no mess and if you use rotation agitation it only takes about 250ml of solution!</p>

<p>With photographers abandoning the darkroom like rabid rats these days, I'm sure you can pick up a Jobo tank (and possibly a CPE2 processor as well) for almost nothing. For example, about a year ago I was handed a huge bag of Jobo film reels for absolutely free. In fact the guy walked quickly away before I changed my mind and handed them back! :-)</p>

<p>Don't have the money for a jobo tank set up. Watched a few sell on the bay for a lot more than I can dream of coming up with right now. I wish someone would give me a reel or two, I am sure I could cobble up a tube or something to put it in. The tank does use a bit of chemistry, that is why I went with the HC110. </p>

<p>Hey Matthew, what lens do you have on your speed graphic? Have you taken any shots with using the rear shutter? I am thinking of talking my friend out of one that is in pieces and seeing if I can get it to work. I actually have 2 lenses for mine now, one is a Kodak 127 and the other is a Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 150mm. My rangefinder is the top mount one and it doesn't correspond to either lens.</p>

<p>Another thought that I had today is maybe instead of inversion agitation, maybe I will pour out about half the developer every minute or so and then pour it back in. That should agitate it plenty. The film should still be wet while pouring and then adding the developer back into the tank, it should redistribute its self fairly evenly. Maybe that won't make such a mess. Just a thought.</p>

<p>Here is the solution I found on evil bay for processing 4x5 using agitation/inversion. It works great.<br>

The fellow who makes these is a pro photog in the UK.<br>

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/5x4-Film-Processor-Paterson-3-Reel-Tank-/130446396897?pt=UK_Photography_Film&hash=item1e5f360de1">http://cgi.ebay.com/5x4-Film-Processor-Paterson-3-Reel-Tank-/130446396897?pt=UK_Photography_Film&hash=item1e5f360de1</a></p>

<p>Here is the solution I found on evil bay for processing 4x5 using agitation/inversion. It works great.<br />The fellow who makes these is a pro photog in the UK.<br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/5x4-Film-Processor-Paterson-3-Reel-Tank-/130446396897?pt=UK_Photography_Film&hash=item1e5f360de1">http://cgi.ebay.com/5x4-Film-Processor-Paterson-3-Reel-Tank-/130446396897?pt=UK_Photography_Film&hash=item1e5f360de1</a><br>

Please excuse the double post.</p>

<p>I have two FR's and love them dearly...but never inverted them...not sure why you'd need to? Ilford HC at 1:31 at around 6 minutes works well for practically every B/W film.<br>

A few back and forward motions each minute, then rinsing well with water prior to adding the fix works well and never fails. Sometimes loading twelve sheets at once can result in two sheets getting stuck together, but if I take the time to use the 'postie slot' this doesn't happen.</p>

• 10 months later...