Not Thrilled with the D7000 Images That I Have Seen

bob_h

<p>Just wondering what is the likely time frame before we start getting the useful reviews & maybe comparisons with d300s? Wading through all those threads on other sites in the hope of finding sensible comment is proving a challenge at the mo.</p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Just wondering what is the likely time frame before we start getting the useful reviews & maybe comparisons with d300s?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps one week after I get my D7000. :-)</p>

<p>It is very easy for me to use any DSLR can capture some terrible images. I can do that with a D3X or Canon 1DS Mark III or any Hasselblad. As I said, it is a matter of the photographer.</p>

<p>Bottom line is... nobody is currently making a DSLR that can't be used to make decent images up to 8 x 10. It's becoming a feature game.</p>

<p>I've taken some stunning images with my D50.</p>

<p>I've taken some crappy images with my D90.</p>

<p>That doesn't make the D50 better...</p>

<p>Sorry Stan, I didn't mean to come over rudely. I spent 10 years as a professional imaging technician working with digital and analog images, pixel peeping at 100% for 8 hours a day while editing images, so that did have an effect on me! :-P<br /> Peter, certainly my D70s made gorgeous 8x10 prints, but my D300 makes even better 12x18 inch prints! I don't doubt for a second the D7000 won't be able to either, but I "upgraded" from the D300 to the D700 once, and regretted it, and so am now trying to be more careful when I decide to "upgrade" again. I've particularly already decided that I want a digital SLR that can shoot 1080p video at 30fps, as the Canon 60D can, not just 24.</p>

<p>Dave, let's review...</p>

<p>First off, your original story about the D700 debacle was that you realized you just couldn't afford it. I'm sure I could dig through old posts if I had time, but I don't. Only later did you "decide" that it was actually inferior. So sorry, but I gotta call foul here... (anybody else remember that?)</p>

<p>Second, you're totally writing off a camera based on pre-release web jpeg images, and I don't think that's very helpful to people who are trying to make an educated decision about a purchase... and that's a big part of why this forum is here, isn't it.</p>

<p>Third, if you've printed many images, you know how fruitless the kind of pixel-peeping is that tries to compare two 12MP or 16MP images at 100% when you're printing... well... almost any size... Honestly, I feel bad for all the pixel peepers, it seems like that's more interesting to some than capturing great images.</p>

<p>Actually when I bought a $599 D200, I got rid of the D700. I hadn't liked the D700 overall, and it was still worth $2250 when I sold it, so it was a net gain of $1650 after the D200 arrived. Overall I preferred the D300 for a lot of reasons I won't repeat here. And I did take some excellent images with the D200, but the high ISO performance and lack of high-res LCD monitor, and poor battery life, got it sold in the end. The D300 is by far the best digital SLR I've used and I'm not planning to sell it anytime soon. Video attracts me, but I don't want to compromise, so the D7000 is out for the moment.</p>

<p>Dave,</p>

<p>You're on record as being in love with your D700, you remember that, right? You were GOING to use it for five years, iirc, but realized it was too much for a camera you're not earning money with (a point I agree with btw...)</p>

<p>that said, I can understand not wanting to bother upgrading till they get the video you want. I don't really shoot much video with my D90, but when I do, it's super-fun...</p>

<p>Dave, I love the D90, but will probably upgrade to a D300s rather than go with the D7000. I realize that the D300 and D300s (especially) are an upgrade to the D90, not so much because of their image quality (DXO Labs gives a slight nod to the D90 over the D300), but for other handling characteristics. It wont hurt that the 300s will becoming down in price, in fact, already has.</p>

<p>I don't see how anybody who hasn't used a camera and has quite thin information on it can possibly make a serious recommendation to others not to buy it. To say "I won't buy this" - which is my interpretation of what Dave is saying - is perfectly reasonable. But my advice would be not to make a decision until you have some real information and the opportunity to try it.</p>

<p>Shun--next time you're at a friend's house for dinner and it's great, ask the cook what kind of pots and pans they use. 'Always good for a chuckle.<br>

Back OT, as one who sees many images from many photographers I'm slow to judge how good a camera is until I've seen it in raw. Anything downloaded from the web is useless. Adjustments made in raw & post processing give you a tiff or jpeg that tells you little or nothing. Until you can see a set of raw images you'll be hard pressed to give a fair evaluation. As long as I'm on a semi-rant, all this hand wringing about what to buy and not buy is a waste of time. Today's cameras and their capabilities are far beyond how most any of us are using them. As I told a colleague recently the limitations are not with the camera but with me, the photographer. Go out and make some pictures today. Best of luck in your photography.</p>

<p>When I wrote this post, I did not denigrate or imply that the D7000 was inferior in any way. I wrote of the warmth and vividness missing in the images that I had seen from it. If you were to line up a Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony DSLR of similar specs side by side and shoot the same scene, the image produced by each camera would not be exactly the same as the other cameras. They each have their own "look" about them. Just like you would expect to see a different "look" from the late Kodachrome, (RIP), compared to Velvia, or E100SW, or Reala, or Ektar, or other brands of film. I had waited for the release of the D7000, my brother bought one. He loves it. Yesterday I bought a D300s as a matter of preference, nothing more than that. Maybe we will trrade bodies every once in a while just fur grins.</p>

<p>Dear Mr. John R Fulton,</p>

<p>Any serious cook knows to use All-clad. I mean, is there really any other choice? Sure you could spend even more money and get LeCruset or some brand I haven't heard of, but at price to quality ratios, All-Clad is hard to beat.</p>

<p>And Shun, quit being lazy and get that test D7000 already. And yes, that was a joke demand.</p>

<p>And judging picture warmth from a jpeg on the web, no matter what the size, tells you nothing unless you only ever shot in AWB. After that, it is up to your skills for color, especially those who shoot RAW.</p>

<p>Officially Nikon is releasing the D7000 this week. I called my dealer a couple of days ago on Saturday, and they said that it should be available within a week. However, it looks like Best Buy in the US is selling the D7000 ahead of the official time. I believe all of those who already have the D7000 got theirs from Best Buy.</p>

<p>Part of the problem in this thread is merely the good old sour grapes.</p>

<p>I had an opportunity Friday to hold a d7000 in my own hands. Just from the feel of it and even though I wasn't allowed to use it for picture taking purposes, I could tell that the IQ will be far superior/inferior to that of a D90, D300s, D3s, etc. ;) For crying out loud, there isn't even any software for NEF files yet. Give it some time!</p>

<p> stopped in Best Buy today and there on display for all to see was a brand new Nikon D7000. I picked it up and after 4 or 5 minutes a salesman came by and said "Do you have any questions?" I said yes, as a matter of fact I do..... I notice you don't have any power to the camera and I'd like to fumble through some of the operation of it (thinking to myself, maybe I can see what all this mushy shutter button talk was all about). I went on to say, is there any way we can turn this thing on?<br />Well that was a stumper. After a long pause he said, " I don't think so because we don't have any power to it yet". Trying to move the conversation along I asked,.... Do you know when you might have it hooked up? A few minutes?..an hour? later this afternoon? Again a long pause and the response........ "Probably by the end of the week". I said thanks...I won't be back, and he said.... "Thanks for stopping in, do you have any other questions?" I was about to ask the one about the fastest animal on earth but I'm sure it would've been a waste of time, just like my stop in Best Buy was today.<br />Still,.... they'll probably sell a million of them. Just think how many they'd sell if they cared and were informed.</p>

<p>A question to BestBuy visits, do BestBuy have the option in getting the D7000 body alone? From the online checking, they only have the option to sell with 18-105mm kit lens but I prefer something better than the kit lens. Thanks for the help!<br>

Hin</p>

<p>I went into the local best buy here (Tampa) on Sunday they too had the 7000 no battery on the display model anyway<br>

I was able to hold it but without power kind of a downer<br>

they were selling with the 18-105 kit lens only<br>

I imagine that Nikon must have a ton of 18-105 lens that they want to get rid of and found a willing consumer that want to be the first to get the 7000 so you'll see a big resale on that lens soon<br>

pretty sneaky<br>

this isn't really an entry level DSLR and most buyers probably all ready have some glass of their own<br>

I know I have an 18-200, 35 1.8 and a 50 1.8 don't really need another 3.5-5.6 lens<br>

BTW they also had the 3100 I didn't check it out</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But does it work with Capture and Photoshop?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>DOn't know for the D7000 pics, I do not own one...<br>

The codec "an sich" works on my systems ok with my own "NEF's" (D300) and i have no problem with my Leica raw's either ( curiously, becausse i did with the previous versions.... they would not show me thumbnails...).<br>

I understand from the description that it works with the "windows photo gallery" but i do not use that for some reasons "unknown to me" :-) ...</p>