The Elementary Altix

Like Michael says.. your camera looks great, but I chalk that up to your product photography background! My cameras look like the "junk" they might be in someones house, but yours look like they've been immaculately cleaned and excellent preserved! Kudos.. you're a great photograher ..especially liked Spring church but all photos are excellent. Surprised at the how well the shutter works and your excellent focusing skill. I'm keeping my eye peeled for this one, but I've seen them before and the older ones.. here in Germany ...get a lot of attention! Excellent post and thanks for the background it really helps to have the whole picture!

<p>Thank you all for your response, and compliments. Using these old gems has a high frustration quotient; often I just have to take a deep breath and push aside the knowledge that I could be doing it much more easily and probably better with something a little more modern. However, when the film comes back and there's and image I really like I'm always surprised and delighted. I guess it takes one back to the days when results were a little less predictable, and that's the up side.<br /><br /><strong>SP</strong>, you're quite right, in that I suspect I'm a closet still-life photographer. Perhaps the years of product photography give one a sort of tunnel-vision. An when I compare your busy urban scenes to our quiet streets, I realise just how under-populated we are. High praise <strong>Mike S</strong>., but inspiration flows in both directions...</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Tony</strong>, nice to meet another Paxette fan. Hmmm...a Paxette with an extinction meter: have a look at the following, if you haven't already.<br /><br />http://www.ukcamera.com/classic_cameras/braun1.htm<br /><br /><strong>Kayam</strong>, the pics of the camera are actually fairly simple. The light source is one big flash in a softbox, and numerous reflectors ranging from white to black, and silver foil. I used an apricot-coloured reflector to throw a little colour into a couple of the shots. I'm an adherent to the "single light source" school of photography. The background was just a ceramic tile left over from our new bathroom!<br /><br /><strong>Charles</strong>, <strong>Q.G.de Bakker</strong> has kindly explained about the tower symbol; it went on to be known as the Pentacon symbol, probably best-know for it's association with Practina and Practica cameras. Thanks, <strong>Q.G</strong>. Thanks, <strong>Ralf</strong>, I'd like to see some work from your Altix. They're certainly a sweet little camera.<br /><br />Thanks <strong>Doug</strong>; visitors from your part of the world frequently remark upon the similarities between our small rural towns and yours. We do have a similar heritage, after all. <strong>Michael A</strong>., this Altix arrived very dirty, but unblemished. I start by giving the camera a thorough brushing with a large soft paintbrush, avoiding the glass, and then begin work with Q-tips moistened with water and detergent. A solution of a half-teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a quarter cup of water and rubbed around with a Q-Tip works well on the satin-finished surfaces to remove the beginnings of verdigris and the spotty gung. A little metal polish gently applied to the chrome works well, but never to the satin finish, which is quite delicate. Wooden toothpicks are invaluable for the crevices. I apply a little leather dressing to the body, and polish the whole camera with a large soft cloth, once again avoiding the glass. I finish by cleaning all the glass with lens tissue and fluid and a lens brush.<br /><br />Thanks, <strong>Chuck</strong>. Good luck with the Altix hunt; they do seem to sell for quite high prices in your part of the world. <strong>JDM</strong>, I hope the person whose finger was involved was severely admonished...And thanks <strong>Mike G</strong>. and<strong> L Mar</strong>, your responses add to the satisfaction of creating these posts.</p>

<p>At the top is the listing for this camera from my <em>Reiche Auswahl</em> catalog of Dresden cameras at the top.<br /> My damaged Altix (note the bent shutter leaves) is below, but showing how the interchangeable lens works.</p>

<p>My lens is the Tessar 50mm f/2.8 version.</p><div>00XUog-291045884.thumb.jpg.7a36ab921c2c22a8fe5b0afa88c80be5.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Marc</strong>, thanks for your response. I'm always intrigued by the variations on the theme of "How to get film into your camera"...What a shame about the shutter, <strong>JDM</strong>; that looks to be a beautiful example of the Altix V, and the ad say it all, I guess... And <strong>Jody</strong>, I'm sorry to hear that you find your Paxette horrible, but I know you're not on your own. I'm one of those odd people who actually rather like Paxettes; see my post:<br>

http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00RGte</p>

<p>Yes, Rick, my Altix is so like new except for the shutter, that I actually tried to get someone in Prague to repair it for me, but the Czech-English language barrier proved too hard to surmount.<br>

One of these days I'll have to see if I can get one with a good shutter. They didn't used to be very expensive, and the fact that a repair was going to be more expensive than a working version was another barrier.</p>

<p>Hi Rick. I am bowled over by your posting! I hope to use it in the future as a guide to what a model posting should contain and should look like.<br>

Folks looking for information about the Altix and what it is capable of will be pleasantly surprised to find such a well thought out, well executed, informative and beautiful write-up. You are providing all who will see this with a great service. Thank you!<br>

You are also gifted in selecting your subjects and composing your images. Your are not using a view camera here with tilts and shifts but you still manage to center your subjects and avoid any key-stoning of the vertical elements. I am very impressed.<br>

I'll need to work real hard in cleaning up my cameras to get them to look anything like what you have achieved with this Altix. Thanks for the hints on how you proceed with a typical camera exterior cleaning.</p>

<p>John, thanks for your thoughtful response. You've recognised the fact that I would like these posts to be part of an ongoing archive, and when time allows I'd like to set up a website to accommodate the photographs and information. I've adopted a consistent format, to help me organise my production of the posts, and to let other forum member know what to open, or avoid!<br /> Should you be interested, there have been quite a few posts in this format relating to an eclectic collection of cameras over the past couple of years, and you can find them by going to my profile. Many thanks for your compliments, and intuitive observations regarding the pics...</p>

• 6 years later...

Hi Rick!

I've seen this thread numerous times and it's actually contributed into inspiring me to use this same camera!

It's obvious from your thread that you're a talented photographer and know your stuff, which is why I believe you're my saviour. I have an Altix Altessa IV that I inherited from my grandfather that has a little trouble with the shutter. It doesn't time very fluidly and sometimes gets stuck.

I'm a total novice with this sort of thing and I was wondering... Do you have any advice on how to clean the shutters?

Hi Andrejpanic! Thanks for the compliments, but I'm not too sure I'm great in the saviour role... I'm delighted to hear that you've been inspired to use the Altix, as it's a beautiful little camera and a real classic. Unfortunately, I think a shutter clean might be rather a daunting task unless you have the tools and a measure of expertise; the mechanism is tucked away between two lots of lens elements, and even the basic fix of applying a drop or two of lighter-fluid (naptha) to the shutter blades would require the removal of a one of these groups. The back group is practically inaccessible due to the construction of the camera, and disassembling the front looks like quite a challenge.

In view of the scarcity of the camera I'd recommend getting it serviced by a professional, and it should then serve you well for many years. I don't know where in the world you are, but if you reply to this thread giving your location, some member may be able to make a recommendation regarding a a repair facility near you. Sorry I can't be of more help!

A wonderful post again. I look for your reviews and explanations. The accompanying photos are some of the best I've seen.

JDM its a real pity that's your camera has damaged shutter blades, the phrase " what was he thinking" springs to mind. I wonder how it was done.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the help. I figured as much from looking at some other posts online. I'm in the UK and I've been recommended "West Yorkshire Cameras" in Leeds by a friend of mine so I'll probably look into that.

Actually, I think the shutter on the Altix is fairly straightforward to access. The front lens assembly should unscrew quite easily, which then gives access to the front of the shutter. Here you'll find a securing ring or for some Altix models a circlip-type ring, which holds the speed ring in place. This page by Rick Oleson Synchro Compur will give a good idea what it will look like. Just some lighter fluid on the timing gear (aka speedcam) may do the trick, but I prefer to take it out and clean it separately, as its easy to drown the shutter in fluid and spread grease everywhere. The shutter blades should also be visible, if they are not clearly greasy I would stay away from lighter fluid/naphta for those, as it may just stain the blades. From the symptoms you describe it sounds like the speedcam rather than the shutter blades causing the issues.

If you have never done this but want to learn, I suggest to get an old bargain camera with Prontor-S or Pronto shutter, they are easier to work with than the Compur-style shutters.

If you are interested more about Altix cameras have a look at my website: http://www.cjs-classic-cameras.co.uk/altix/index.html.