Locations and Scouting

edo_t

<p>So, how does everyone pick their locations for a shoot. I guess this pertains mostly for lifestyle and portrait photography (in my scenario) but also for landscape and other stuff for others. I was wondering if many people just go out and trespass with their models, and hope they don't get caught.<br>

Alternatively there is the problem shooting in a cool location, say, using the side of a warehouse as a background. But if we have public access to this area should we shoot there? I know it technically is legal, but how pro do we have to be in order to ascertain releases for location shoots?</p>

<p>Two areas in which is doesn't matter "how pro" you are:<br /><br />1) Trespassing. If you don't have permission to be on private property, you're trespassing. Doesn't matter if you're an amateur or a semi/pro.<br /><br />2) Releases. These have nothing to do with how pro you are either. The issue is what you <em>do</em> with the images (or what someone else will do with them). Are they just art for art's sake? No release. Could your photograph of someone's private property be put to use as part of an advertising or other commercial image/message/graphic? Get a release. Property leases are just like model releases - when in doubt, get one signed, so that you're not limiting your eventual use or licensing of the image. If you <em>know</em> that image will never be put to work in a commercial capacity, that lightens your load quite a bit.</p>

<p>First off, I would never break the law to get the shot.</p>

<p>Secondly, I would never "scout" a location with a model in tow. That would not be "pro".</p>

<p>I generally pick my locations from past experience. I know what works and why it works.<br>

I carry a small digital audio recorder with me at all times. If I see something during my travels, I make note of it and return at a later date for some test shots.</p>

<p>Generally my location decisions are based on the backdrop and lighting.<br>

Good clean uncluttered lines that lend themselves well to being out of focus.<br>

Time of day and season play a part. Looking for hi-lites and shadow or the lack thereof during overcast days.<br>

For a new location I'll test several f/stops and focal lengths.</p>

<p>I probably do this testing more than most since most of my work is editorial stock that may have commercial value down the road. Fishing with two poles ups the odds in catching more fish. :)</p>

<p>For landscape work I first pick what sort of topic, let's say a lighthouse (trite, but still purrty), e.g., Eastern Point Light, Gloucester, Ma. I do some internet research as to what is what and where.</p>

<p>Then I use Google Earth and Bing Maps (with its great bird's-eye view, realistic imagery overlay) to judge the location and to determine sun angles and times of day appropriate to my needs. I find that these two programs are almost as good as walking the ground. They both save a lot of wasted effort.</p>

<p>So, then the Mrs. and I go off on a couple day trip to said general area.</p>

<p>My silly 'trip flow"<br>

Jim</p><div>00XUYh-290877584.JPG.d26b1721bb8fe1548b6033c38cd7cf7a.JPG</div>

<p>All very very interesting. I owuld never take a model with me to scout ~ I didn't mean that at all. I was just wondering how people in a professional photographic capacity went about scouting and the legalities tied in. Jim I will definitely look at Google earth and Bing's birds eye view, i never though to use their satellite views as a photographic tool.<br>

Matt, how do you go about getting such releases? Would one just call the property owner and and ask for a meeting or something? I am really curious how many photographers do enjoy the occasional trespass, I'm sure most people will deny it here, butif there was an anonymous poll ~ I think that would be fun.<br>

Kevin, lately I've been using my GPS whenever I find an interesting location. I just save the location and review it that evening or at the end of the week. Maybe i should use this with Google earth to get a better understanding of the are. I have a problem of not paying attention to what a location looks like as a backdrop. I think of it as an area that plays a more important role to everything, which is bad to one extent. As for testing, do you just go out there and fake portraits, take pictures in bokeh, or am i not getting the point of your testing?</p>

<p>Get your location releases by hiring an attorney to draw up a contract for you. No, do not go around trespassing in a bunch of places because they look cool. Most of the time people will say, "Yes," anyway. I did one project which involved photographing in a wide variety of places, all where we got the releases done, got permission, and had a great shoot. </p>

<p>Location types included: law offices, airports (inside and out), bars (open and closed), art galleries, numerous private homes, unoccupied condos which were for sale (real estate agent helped out), public parks with large sculptures (needed help from the city with some specifics), borrowed cars, churches (inside and out) and railyards.</p>

<p>Zero trespassing required. Make the phone calls. </p>

<p>I agree - there's no need to trespass whatsoever. 90% of the time you should be able to get access to the location you need/want without a problem, even if it sometimes means you have to get there either VERY early or after the end of business hours. After all, chances are not many business owners or managers would appreciate you shooting 3 models in the middle of their factory floor in the middle of the day shift...causes problems if you know what i mean...</p>

<p>Admittedly, you will come across some location you absolutely LOVE and have no way of finding the owner or manager. Abandoned buildings are one, lots with junk in them another. In those cases (and I have found myself in similar situations a few times) you could check and see if there is an already open access to those places. If there is, chances are you could conceivably go in there and use the place as a stage. Be careful however: if someone shows up and asks you to leave, you have to. No question about it. And remember: this assumes that you have made EVERY effort to discover the owners in the first place...</p>