INTERNEGATIVE 4114 film ... ISO???

<p>From my recollection as Dept head of the film dept at Custom Color Services in Glendale, ( no longer there) 4114 film has an ISO of about 15. ISO ratings were never an issue for us as each emulsion had to be balanced and calibrated to get an accurate internegative from slide and transparency film. The exposure time would fluctuate depending on the filtration needed to acheive top quality results. We also used this film for copy negatives. It was a perfect film for copy negs from photographic prints for other art work like paintings and drawings, we used Vericolor Type L. Exposure times for internegatives was around 15 -20 seconds using a standard Chromega color enlarger with a halogen light source.</p>

<p>15- 20 seconds with an F-stop of 8-11 using a 50 or 80 mm enlarger lens. Sorry forgot that info in my previous post. Additionally this film replaced 4112, which for my money I was glad to see the back of. 4112 had a tendency to cross-over easily. 4114 was a lot more forgiving.</p>

<p>In those days, we made prints from slides by printing them by projection on to a reversal paper. Now the slide has a dynamic range of 256:1 or 8 f/stops. The paper we used had a dynamic range of 64:1 or 6 f/stops. The results were always too contrasty. We could correct by making an unsharp mask or printing using a labor -intensive system know as dye transfer but the monetary costs were out of sight.</p>

<p>Kodak made the inter-negative material to solve this problem. The inter-negative material was very complex. As I recall it had 12 emulsion layers. The idea was, make a film of low contrast so that a quality negative could be made from a slide.</p>

<p>The film is C-41 so it has the two built-in auto masks as does all common C-41 materials. However the inter-negative material had s trick up its sleeve.</p>

<p>Most film has a characteristic with a slope angle of about 22 degrees. This yields a gamma of 0.80 which is ideal for a camera film. Now the inter-negative film had a much flatter slope angle. This translates to a flat film ideal for copying slides. The resulting negative could be used on most any negative color printer. However, the results turned out to be poor. Seems slides come in a variety of contrasts so what was needed was an inter-negative film with variable contrast. This was accomplished by giving this film two different slope angles. The first was flat however, increased exposure caused the principle image being copied to fall on the upper part of the curve. This upper portion had a much steeper slope.</p>

<p>Thus, once the film was balance, via exposure and filtration to a standard slide model, actual production slides would fall on the curve at different locations due to their density. In other words, the material self corrected for contrast based on the density of slide. It is not a film of casual usage. The set-up time and testing is quire time consuming. If you don't perform the set-up then the advantage of using inter-negative material vanishes. My advice is to scan and print using a digital printer.</p>

<p>The ISO is about 15 however; the material does not fit the mold so ISO goes out the window. </p>

<p>Internegative film had very low gamma in the lower scale, but it had higher gamma in the upper scale. This was to preserve highlights. With a straight line curve, the highlights will get muddy. This allowed production of great quality prints from slides, but the exposure had to be dead on to get these great results. With typical color negative, get the exposure within a stop and adjust in printing. With internegative film, the exposure must be within 1/6 stop (some say 1/6th). </p>

<p>Mr. St John...</p>

<p>Seconding Mr. Dressler's comment, in the late 1990s I was trying to make 4x6 prints of some family slides. I had a Minolta 9xi to which I affixed a "T-mount". I bought a $100.00 slide duper that had its own small lens. I used several films and even tried internegative film that I believe was 4114. I used the other films at their rated ISO and had gotten good results. The shop told me that 4114 was 16-20 ISO. However I tried 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20. 25, 32 and 40. I pointed the device about 20 degrees off the sun on a clear day. I used the 9xi on full auto for exposure. ISO 6 seemed the best. The photo/camera store had a hard time adjusting their then 10 year old bulk printer to get the colors right for the print. The negative looked well exposed to both myself and a pretty knowledgeable tech who worked there. I ended up using Royal Gold 25 and AGFA HDC 100. Both were more contrasty than 4114 but the machine prints had much better color. Almost any other negative film that I tried gave too much contrast. I also used the interneg film for a regular non interneg shot on a bright day. It had the 60s European look. </p>

<p>A. T. Burke</p>