Another question about pricing

ccommins

In August I took pictures at a local vineyard, the owner would like to talk to me about one she would like to

use as a wine label. At first I was thrilled, now panic has set in. I sell my work in a small gallery, drop off

my work and don't deal with the general public. This would be my first contract, etc. I have no clue where

to start, what to charge and where to get a contract. She knows alot of people and this is a great opportunity

for me. Any suggestions.

<p>There are soooooo many ways to answer this.<br>

You will be the final arbiter.</p>

<p>I doubt the vineyard produces it's own labels now; what do those cost?<br>

How much are you willing to take for your work?<br>

How many labels will be printed?<br>

Will you be collaborating with the printer? The graphic artists? Does the owner expect this?</p>

<p>Another route is to ask the owner what imagery used for (COMMERCIAL) purposes is worth?<br>

He who speaks first usually loses.</p>

<p>In the end, you will be licensing the image; or if you prefer, "selling some limited rights" to it<br>

.As always you should maintain the copyright. If the image goes to print, register the image ASAP.</p>

<p>At a minimim, include the following in your agreement/license...</p>

<p>1) Duration or use. Start date + End date= duration.<br>

2) Total number of lables printed.<br>

3) "Non-Exclusive." This means you can use the photo for re-licensing purposes.<br>

If they complain about non-exclusive, offer limited exclusivity; in other words "You may have (exclusive) use for 1 year etc...<br>

4) Media type: In this case it is PRINT only and for labels only.<br>

Indicate the final size of the photo as it appears on the label.<br>

5) Indicate no other rights exist other than those in the agreement.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>She knows alot of people and this is a great opportunity for me. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>This claim from clients always comes up..about how they will steer more work our way..believe it if you want. It is usually nothing more than their attempt to get the work exceedingly cheap. It's up to you what you will price your work at.</p>

<p>Plain language is a good start writing your agreement/license/contract.<br>

Bullet points work well if this is your first time.<br>

Just be sure to cover yourself from the client using the photo for purposes not agreed upon.</p>

<p>Lastly, the ASMP has a book <a href="http://www.amazon.com/ASMP-Professional-Business-Practices-Photography/dp/1581154976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286924074&sr=8-1">LINK</a>. It does a pretty good job covering definitions you will need to understand to proceed. While the book caters to more seasoned pro's, it is still worth the read if for no other reason than understanding licensing and copyrights. It even has sample agreements to get you thinking.</p>

<p> </p>

Thank you Kevin for your response to my post. You have given me alot to think about, I did find copies of different agreements and I am being very careful. I have time until our meeting, so I will probably write & rewrite it a dozen times. Thanks again