Story in Leitz codes

mukul_dube

<p>Here is the beginning of what I hope will become a collectively written story. I am stuck and cannot write it alone.<br /><br />"I was in the forest, holding my LOOHW with its SOONC on but FOOKH off, a VIOOH mounted on top, when the bear pushed me and I fell on my ARRSE."</p>

<p>I saw a note on another forum last week in which the basis for those codes was brought to light. It seems that at the time orders were telegraphed to Leitz, and since one was charged by the number of letters or word (I can't remember which), Leitz developed a 5 letter code to keep costs manageable for enthusiasts and dealers.</p>

<p>Some years ago I spent a few hours searching the Internet for lists of Leitz codes. I found several small lists but not a comprehensive one. This would suggest that while dealers would have had such a list, it was perhaps not made available to the vastly greater number of enthusiasts. Had there been many copies of the list, surely one would have survived and found its way to the Internet, a mine of obscure and often trivial information.</p>

<p>I think the Leitz codes may have been thought up in the wartime (WW2), when the German military was (temporarily) teasing the British intelligence with its 'unbeatable' random code creating machine, until a quirky Oxford mathematician and his group finally figured it out and helped turn the tide that then had the appearance of a Tsunami. The Luftwaffe had to be careful not to use the word "Heil" in the text, although that possibly coded part name may scare off your bear. </p>

<p>“I don’t like SLRs” said COBRA. “Nor do I said FIRGI.” “We’re going to BLITZ them said COBRA.” “You can’t said FIRGI”. “CORSU can” said COBRA. “I have a RIFLE” said COBRA. “DAMOT “ said COBRA “my RIFLE’s ASKOO” “It won’t shoot straight”. “OLLUX” said FIRGI. “You don’t know how to use a RIFLeE and that’s FINAL.”<br>

What a waste of time !</p>