Age of DSLR

gunjankv

My DSLR is 9 months old. How old is yours? I was thinking of fitting her with a new grip but she may be too young for that. I

don't want to restrict her baseplate or obstruct her tripod socket. Alas, they grow up so fast...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Do you mean which parts age fastest with use?

Probably the shutter, at least officially, typically rated for 100 to 200 operations, probably more for a pro body. Of

course that is a typical many shutters will last beyond their projected life span.

Obviously batteries age, and so do flash cards, but these can considered consumables.

The odd model might have a weak point, I think for example the 5D has had problems with mirrors being detached.

<p>Some of my DSLR are 10 years old and they are still working like new. The batteries wear out and died first</p>

<p>We have a 20D that is coming up on 7 years old and works as good as the day we bought it. We get a new set of batteries every few years and that is about it. We have had more problems with lenses going bad then the bodies, we have had two kit lenses stop working in those 7 years. </p>

<p>I suspect they become obsolete before they break (at least decent quality ones - Rebels seem a little bit poorer construction). My T90s and A1 (early electronic Canons) are still going strong and they are from 1986 and 1982. Similarly all my EOS film bodies work fine and they date from 1995 to 2004 (EOS3, 1NRS, 2x 1V). I suspect the big killer of EOS digital bodies will be softare compatibility or the end of CF cards they can work with (old SD cards are already getting hard to find). In terms of failures my batteries always go first.</p>

<p>Batteries seem to be an Achilles heel. The battery technology keeps moving on and availability of older, proprietary shaped, ones becomes an issue. Other than batteries I see no issues with older digital cameras. I still use an 8 year old one regularly (after my battery work around).</p>

<p>Do you mean lifespan? Probably not that of old SLR's. There are plenty AE-1's that are still going strong in mint condition, 30 years later. But as for a DSLR, we really don't know the lifespan as they haven't been around that long, and with all the updates and advances in technology, its more likely that you'll get a new camera before your old one dies. But for me, I just bought a 1D Mk II, which is currently 6 years old, and its a new camera for me, and I expect to get quite a bit more from it. The shutter is rated for 200,000 clicks and it currently has less than 50,000.</p>

<p>Although a Nikon user, I find this topic interesting. I have been using a pair of F6's. I wonder how long these will list, and since they will probably stop making them soon, how long will the F6 last? I am careful with my equipment, and store it in the case when I am not using it, so I hope to get many years out of the cameras. By the time they stop working, I'll probably switch to digital for 35mm and stick to large format for film.</p>

<p>Gunjan, I'm still not sure what the intent of your question was. If you're interested in whether a DSLR will work as an antique, I suspect that it will not. I try to keep some vintage computer equipment operable and available for purposes of reading old media, and the half-life of a computer seems to be about 20 years before it rots and becomes nonfuctional. Usually its death is a matter of a corroded connection somewhere, so it can often be fixed. Anyway, I think that will be the status of an antique DSLR -- that it might work, but only after being sent in for service. Our antique DSLR cameras might be stored in more favorable conditions than our antique computers (which are usually thrown into the back corner of a humid garage), but I suspect half of them will be inoperable after 30 or 40 years, even with careful storage.</p>

<p>I have the same outlook for antique cars. I currently own a 1978 sports car with a working example of Bosch's first-generation fuel injection. The electronics are rather simple, compared to modern camera circuitry. I've done a modern retrofit of the ignition module, due to semiconductor breakdown in the original unit, and a few other owners of my car model are starting to see failure of the engine control module ("the computer") due to fracturing of the solder joints on the PC board. Fortunately it's something that can be retrofitted and re-engineered if necessary, and the remainder of the car is rather simple. I hope to keep the original fuel injection system going as a functional example of that early technology, but I realize this may be a challenge. </p>

<p>I don't think this will be even remotely possible with more modern cars, as the electronics are far more extensive and far more delicate. There will probably be no such thing, for instance, as an "unmolested," original configuration of BMW Z3M roadster in 50 years, between the engine control module, dynamic stability control, antilock brakes, air bags, etc. Some of them may be retrofitted with more modern electronic systems, but I suspect most of them will have these systems disabled. They might even wear the ultimate insult of having been fitted with carburetors! I dare say we've hit an inflection point in the standards of practice of maintaining antique automobiles. ;-)</p>

<p>@Gunjan: In that case, I'd say the camera will operate longer if used regularly. It's non-use that often kills old equipment. Many DSLR cameras have a maximum shutter life of 100,000 frames, and some photographers will go through 1 or 2 changes of shutter before retiring a camera (i.e. 200,000 - 300,000 frames). That's probably a further reflection of how long the electronics can last with regular use. One important factor, BTW, is maintaining the camera within a reasonable humidity range (maybe 30 - 50% RH) and keeping it away from salt air.</p>

<p>@Scott: I definitely mis-wrote/mis-thought. ;-) What I have is a first-generation Bosch fuel injection system for the car lineage I own -- the Datsun 280Z. In fact it's really a Japanese clone of Bosch's L-Jetronic. Anyway it's also somewhat of a nightmare. My car is at times a frustrating pastime.</p>