New here :) Any active photojournalists around?

chris_penn1

<p>Hey all, I posted this on another forum and was directed here. So hello to all!<br>

Maybe a little bit of a background you can possibly relate to?<br>

<br /> I am considering school counseling for graduate school. My plan was to attend graduate school, get my masters in school counseling then hone my photography skills while traveling during summers. The end result would be after a number of years finding a full time photojournalist spot that was acquired from my traveling work. From what I have researched, finding a full time photojournalist spot is not something that is too common. Also, a degree in photojournalism would be a great help fulfilling this dream. <br /> <br /> I have began researching Indiana, Ball State and Purdue Universities photography programs. The end result would be me returning to school as an undergraduate. At this point I am going to call the programs tomorrow and see if my credits from my first degree will allow me to forgo all of the general education needed for the major.<br /> <br /> Im a traveler. I love to travel and love to shoot. Im more than willing to spend the extra cash to obtain a degree in photography then return for my graduate degree. In my research I have found that it is common for photojournalists to live a not so lavish lifestyles. When I travel I actually prefer the bare minimum style of backpacking. Money is not important to me at all, however, eating is. I am interested in this part of the equation. Is this an example of a starving artist lifestyle? However, it is certain I have the travel bug. I haven't lived in the same city for longer than 8 months for the past 8 years. New places and cultures fascinate me and I want to photograph and record it all.<br>

So with that said I have a few questions.<br>

For those who have defied the odds and are out shooting and traveling, can I please have some basic ups and downs of the job. Was there a dark time/times where you doubted yourself? Be it your skills or missing loved ones. Did you pursue a formal education as I am considering? Do you have a "full time job" that you return home to? Do you have to worry if you can pay the mortgage/rent with the amount of money you are making. Was the attraction of both traveling and shooting for a job that pulled you in and wouldnt let go?<br /> <br /> For those who gave up on the dream. Did you feel as though it was not practical? Did you choose a family or a steady income over something that was not so certain? Do you ever regret your decision?<br>

Thanks for the time guys and look forward to hearing for you.</p>

<p>I graduated (ma) in literature and linguistics. After looking for a job in a related field for the last ten months and thinking a lot about what I want to do with my life I've come to realise 1) that those jobs are rare, 2) no actually cares about this degree, 3) the one thing in my life right now that I'm passionate about is photography (and my gf, hi honey! hope you're reading my forums! :p )</p>

<p>Anyway, that's why I'm planning to do a major in journalism next year, and that way try to get into documentary photography, photojournalism, news, etc.</p>

<p>Am I good enough? No clue but I can only try.</p>

<p>I'd say; follow your dreams, if it doesn't work out, there's always a regular dayjob.</p>

<p>Being a globetrotting PJ involves much compromising. I suggest finding another line of work which enable you to travel or have a lot of free time. As for eduaction, it's nice to have a degree but not in photojournalism nor photography per se...having an awesome portfolio matters more. As a nomad of sort myself, traveling and photography are doable if you got the know how, passion and can live frugally...</p>

<p>As a journalism fanatic and major for awhile, I flirted with photojournalism, working for a wire service as a string, then got into PR photography for a movie company, and then off to commercial and editorial work. My plan was to combine my journalism with photo journalism, but I got out of the writing end of the business because the editors were very slanted. They would take stories and write them for a very liberal point of view, where I wanted to remain solidly neutral.</p>

<p>So my problem was with the editors more than the business. And being a stringer was not terribly glamorous, except to have access to events and areas that many others would never see. The pay was awful, but it was fun. I know a number of photographers who have been PJs their entire life. One worked for UPI and was the most consummate photographer I ever met. He lived and breathed the trade, and he wore his Nikon around his neck with the comfort and naturalness of Paris Hilton wearing diamonds. It was part of his personality.</p>

<p>A lot of PJs get burnt out on the business, but if you live and breathe the job, I think you are more likely to survive. Around my area, I've noticed newspapers will hire a fresh-out-of-school MFA student before they'd hire a seasoned photographer. It's a shame really.</p>

<p>Regardless of what photography you end up doing, I've witnessed the best of the best are consummate marketers. They know all kinds of people. They teach, lecture, write books, and promote themselves. They have the technical skills behind the camera, but they also have the people skills in front of it. I would say you should also study marketing. You should volunteer for organizations that have community leaders serving on boards or as other volunteers. Practice your people skills, presentation skills, and polish your nature and your dress. You can go a lot of places if you can promote yourself with enthusiasm.</p>

<p>I'm strictly amateur. I recommend reading up on Joe McNally <a href="http://portfolio.joemcnally.com/#p=-1&a=0&at=0">http://portfolio.joemcnally.com/#p=-1&a=0&at=0</a><br>

I've read his Hot Shoe Diaries and The Moment it Clicks. He has a lot of commentary about his life as a photojournalist in his books.</p>

<p>Another person I can recommend if you love traveling and selling your travel pics is Dan Heller <a href="http://www.danheller.com/">http://www.danheller.com/</a></p>

<p>Good luck - Mark</p>