N90 Images lost

mike_dunn2

<p>I just returned from vacation to Hawaii. After I got back I had two rolls of film developed. Color from my N60 and B & W from my N90. None of the shots from the color film were lost but the last 13 pic's on the B & W were blank. I'm wondering if the x-ray machine affected it, used and unused film in protective bag in camera bag when going thru the airport security. Or could I have messed it up when I attempted a late night extended shot of the moon refecting off the water that I attempted and then fell asleep and did not wake up until the morning. Would that have messed up the entire end of the roll although it was around exposure 24 to 28 I believe? </p>

<p>X-rays would not cause the film to be blank. For some examples of X-ray damage to film, see this Kodak Technical Information Bulletin: <a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml">http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml</a><br /> If by blank, you mean the film was clear, it sounds more like a shutter fault or a meter fault.</p>

<p>Night shots with film require fairly long exposures due to the light-failure feature of film. Any exposure over 8 or 10 seconds has to be made longer for the correct exposure to be recorded on your film. You may have just under-exposed the night scene and not much was captured....</p>

<p>X-ray damage would have been all the frames having problems.</p>

<p>Jerry, I think you misunderstood me. I started the exposure "Bulb" at about 4 or 5AM. I fell asleep and did not wake up until 8 or 9AM. I was wondering if the excessive sunlight, the sun coming up, could have ruined the remainder of the roll.</p>

I think the OP is wondering if the prolonged daylight streaming through the open shutter could have eventually fogged

the film inside the film chamber. Unlikely, as the "earlier" exposures, wrapped around the take up spool, would have taken

the hit, while the frames shot after the long exposure would be still safe inside the cartridge. Apparently, the prior frames

were fine, while the subsequent frames were blank. Sounds like they simply weren't exposed (ie, the film didn't wind

on). X-rays would have affected the entire roll, rather than just half of it.

<p>When you say the film is blank, do you mean it is black or clear? If you see black rectangles surrounded by clear borders, with the film type and frame numbers visible near the edge, then those frames were severely overexposed. If the film is completely black all the way out to the edge (beyond the sprocket holes) then that part of the roll was accidentally exposed to light before it was developed. If the film is clear and you can read the film type and frame numbers, then those frames were severely underexposed. If the film is completely clear with no writing showing the film type and frame numbers, then that part of the roll didn't get developed (but did get fixed). If the film is still grayish on one side and black on the other, then that part of the roll never went through any of the development chemicals, including the fixer.</p>

<p>Mike,<br>

I've made a mistake before, thinking I had a 24xp film in stead of 36xp.... I rewound it when hitting 24 (maybe because of the different coloured figureat 24 on the xp-counter)..<br>

Could something like that also have happened to you too maybe ?</p>