Slim CPL needed for 10-22 EF-S?

adam_gifford

<p>I have a Cokin `P` circular PL which vignetted on my Sigma 10-20 at the 10mm end (same filter size as the canon) I didnt want to butcher my Cokin filter holder so I bought a cheapo `P` filter holder from ebay (almost giving them away) and with a small hacksaw and some fine sandpaper I cut off the plastic slots that are used for the square filters and this made the holder very slim, fitted my polariser and voila no vignetting. I dont know if it will vignette on the Canon but the thread size is the same so maybe someone out there could confirm if this is the case. A big advantage is that once adapted you just buy different filter adaptor rings for all your other lenses thread sizes.</p>

<p>Of course if you get the Cokin Z Pro series filters its not a problem but they are expensive and way too big for an SLR IMO.</p>

<p>I have the Hoya HD CP that is very thin, yet accepts the lens cover. No vignetted even when stacked with a Hoya 4X ND. IMO, this filter is very expensive ($190@amazon), but does a great job and I'm planning on buying a 58mm version for my other lenses. <br>

This filter claims to be indestructible, here's a link to a review with a movie. <br>

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/indestructable-hoya-hd-filter/<br>

Here's a sample shot, no crop.<br>

http://2zars.com/photoblog/2010/07/sunrise-reflections/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yeah, in the digital age, I'd pass on the Cokin system. I bought it awhile back thinking, "I can use all my filters on all my lenses with this system." Well, with digital, the only filter I really need is a polarizer, everything else can be achieved in PS. And I have step-up rings for my polarizer. A ND filter can be handy too, but I find that the Cokin system is too bulky and time consuming to use with just one or two filters. And also, the big advantage of the Cokin is that you can move the filters up and down, great for grads, but again I don't have one of those anymore.</p>

<p>I have the B+W Slim CPL, and it doesn't vignette on the 10-22. I also have the B+W slim UV. When I'm lazy and stack the CPL on the UV, it will vignette very slightly at 10mm, but beyond that around 12mm you're in the clear.</p>

<p>"Is a slim CPL needed for the 10-22 EF-S? I've read a few reports that says it vignettes with a regular cpl."<br />Forget about what those reports say. I use to have a normal B+W on mine until I noticed some obvious vignetting when the lens was set at arond 12mm or lower which is about the 20mm or lower equivalent on my 30D. I since keep a Canon Slim UV filter(much cheaper than B+W) on the lens, or use the Tiffen CPL when I need to.</p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind with using a CP on a extreme wide angle lens, is the degree of polarization varies across the field of view.The strength of a polarizer is greatest 90 degrees from the sun, however the field of view of a wide angle lens can be up to 130 degrees or more at 10mm even on a cropped sensor. So expect the effect of a CP to vary across the frame at 10mm</p>

<p>I used regular Hoyas with no problem, but have upgraded to the Hoya HD which are very thin but still take a regular cap. Hoya also make a cheaper line of Pro 1 digital or something like that. I would avoid very thick polarisers such as Tiffens. Even though they might be ok on the Ef-S 10-22 I found they vignetted on my 24-105 f4 L on a FF camera.<br>

So a reasonably thin one should give you maximum flexibility. <br>

I also upgraded to multicoated polarisers but I now think that was unnecessary. They are hard to clean, expensive, and the situations in which you use a polariser rarely lend themselves to flare.</p>

<p>Hi Adam,<br>

For what it's worth, I use a B+W regular (non-slim) Kaesemann CPL with the EF-S 10-22 and it works fine,<br>

most of the time. In a small number of photos, I have observed slight vignetting in one corner; not sure<br>

what the explanation is, but this hasn't been a serious problem (it was solved by mildly cropping the photo).</p>

<p>I also use the 28-135 and a 72-77 step-up ring; works, but you don't want to change configurations too often.</p>

<p>Hope this helps,</p>

<p>François.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p><em>I also use the 28-135 and a 72-77 step-up ring; works, but you don't want to change configurations too often.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi François. Out of interest, do you use a hood with your 28-135 when also using the 72-77 step-up ring? Are there any problems?</p>