I Never Thought Choosing...

rafaeldelgado

<p>...a Tripod would be the most difficult thing about photography. Yes I have researched and read a couple of threads on this forum but i'm still undecided on which way to go. I would greatly appreciate any direction from people who have these or similar setups.<br>

<br />First, I have a 5D and my heaviest lens is the 70-200mm 2.8L IS. I am a little concerned with price but would rather spend a little more now than have to buy a second tripod later on. I will be using the tripod for both local stuff (Los Angeles Area) and for a big trip which will include a lot of walking, and possibly hiking, early next year.</p>

<p>I want something which will work well for both stills AND video. I have narrowed my choice to Manfrotto because they seem to provide a good product for the money. And so now...</p>

<ul>

<li>Legs: 190CXPro4 OR 055CXPro4</li>

<li>Head: 391RC2 Photo/Video Pan & Tilt OR 808RC4 3-Way Pan & Tilt</li>

</ul>

<p>I am willing to go the most expensive route if I have to. Again, sorry for the redundant question but I still do feel lost with so many options out there. Thanks, and I look forward to reading your responses.</p>

<p> - Rafael<br>

p.s. I'm 5'9" in case that makes all the difference. : - )</p>

<p>Just be sure that you don't have to stoop to use the tripod - I think the 190CXPro4 is only 57.5" high whereas in my sources (an older B&H catalog) the 055CX Pro4 is 66.9" tall. Of course in both cases with the head on, there will be a little more height.</p>

<p>Choosing a tripod head is like choosing a spouse: it's very personal. Once you're sure it can take the load, whether you want one kind or another is a matter of which one "fits" you best.<br>

I personally use a Manfrotto 222 head, but I'm not sure how it would work out with the Moby Dick lens. I do like the grip rather than a three-way, but you might not find it to your taste at all.</p>

<p>I own the 190CX3 and it is pretty solid. One thing i would of liked is for it to go higher. Really depends what you are doing with it and if you are going to need the height. I shoot video mainly and it is a decent travel set of legs to carry around on the go. As for the head both should be fine if its just for photos just use the tripod mount on the lens when shooting with the 70-200. If you are looking for a video head you want to get a fluid head which will be much smoother. The most travel friendly one is the 701HDV.</p>

<p>While pan tilt heads are good for video, they are very cumbersome for photos. For Photos a good ball head is always more preferable as you can setup the shot quicker. The pan Tilt allows you to Pan using your video camera more fluidly only. You need to choose which is better for you.</p>

<p>Coming from a cheap pan and tilt head to a good ball head was such a relief for me. I am a patient man, but fiddling with four knobs to get my tripod oriented correctly took much longer than I wanted to spend. I would prefer to spend more time on the camera than on the tripod. Also the type of work you plan to do also dictates it. Doing Macro work with a Pan and tilt was very very hard for me.</p>

<p>Since a good tripod head is a personal choice, i would suggest going to a shop and playing with it before you spend the money.</p>

<p>I have a 5D and the problems i face are more towards keeping the camera horizontal. You might want to make sure that the head you are getting has an inbuilt level at the very top in the plate. Having a level in the tripod is good but is not sufficient. Tripod level only helps you keep the tripod stable.</p>

<p>Rafael, it's far more difficult a choice than perhaps it should be. I'm reminded of a Yakov Smirnoff routine in which he (a Cold War Ukranian immigrant/refugee/commedian) first shopped for coffee in a supermarket. He had a panic attack in the coffee isle from all the choices of brands and blends. ;-)</p>

<p>Others might disagree, but my advice, after having my own panic attack over tripods, is just to get one that seems closest to what you need, and don't sweat the smallest details. I finally got a set of Flashpoint legs (reasonably decent quality, very economical) and a Giottos ball head (nicely made, economical) with universal quick release plate (not very well conceived). I ended up making my own QR plate that is much better than the Giottos. In hindsight, I would have gotten a slightly heavier model of ball head -- probably a different Giottos, with my homemade QR plate. Even so, I was happy "enough" with my tripod. It was certainly priced about where I wanted, and it has worked well for my needs. If I were a tripod junkie, I might have sprung for an Arca Swiss head on Flashpoint legs, just because of its smoothness of operation.</p>

<p>I'll toss out one bit of heresy: You'll find that the bottom plate on your camera is far floppier than most tripods, so much of the rigidity of high-dollar tripod systems is for naught. This is true without respect to tripod mounting plates. I've confirmed this with an Arca Swiss plate, a Giottos universal plate, and the (non-QR) Leitz Tiltall plate. The problem is flexure in the camera body itself. I have a very steady grip that is as steady as even my heavy Tiltall (and floppy camera base plate), so I find tripods advantageous only at low shutter speeds, even considering the availability of MLU with tripod use. Of course you do need a tripod and pan head for your video work. I'm just saying a high-end Gitzo might not give you as much advantage as people who make that investment like to represent.</p>

<p>===============</p>

<p>@JDM:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Choosing a tripod head is like choosing a spouse: it's very personal. Once you're sure it can take the load</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good lord, what sort of load do you ask her to bear?!</p>

<p>Hello again guys. Thanks for the great responses. JDM, i'm not married but now I know this tripod head stuff should help me in picking a good spouse. ; - ). You guys all make very good points and that is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like i'm really looking for two different setups. I will probably end up choosing the 055cxpro4 for it's height and sturdiness and also because I will be using my tripod more locally than 'on the road'. </p>

<p>Joshua, would you mind giving me an example of how much 'higher' you would like your 190cx3 to go? The 190cxpro4 is only 3 cm. taller than yours. By contrast the 055cxpro4 is 16.5cm taller. I can see how that would make a difference in some cases.</p>

<p>I'm also realizing that I might need two different heads. Three of you opted for a ball head for shooting stills. I'll have to do some research on which one might be the best match and then go for a pan and tilt head down the road.</p>

<p>Sarah, you're totally on in mentioning Mr. Smirnoff! That's exactly how I felt when I went down to Samy's (a local camera store) and started browsing the options. I was like, "They should just have like a small, medium, and then a large.". I had also wondered about the camera's part in keeping ITSELF stable when on the tripod. I'll definitely keep this in mind while picking the head. </p>

<p>Anyhow, thanks again for the responses. I wouldn't mind more feedback if you have any. I'll keep you guys posted as to which route I take. Thanks!<br>

Rafael</p>

<p>Rafael,</p>

<p>I have a 190 and a 055, I really like Manfrottos. I wouldn't think of traveling with the 055. If you can go for a different set up for different uses then you are more likely to take one, that is the key, if it is not workable you don't take it, having the best tripod in the world at home is no help :-) But having too much stuff, and choice, can be equally interuptive.</p>

<p>It seems support choices are almost as difficult as camera bag choices, and you haven't touched on camera and lens plates yet!</p>

<p>I have the two legsets (that I now use regularly) and an Acratech GP ballhead, it is a superb photo head, the best I have ever used, by far, and Really Right Stuff lens, camera and nodal plates and clamps. But I doubt it would be any use for video. For general photography I can't recommend the 055 and Acratech GP highly enough.</p>

<p>Rafael,<br>

In a few years, I'll be impressed if you can get by with a single tripod. But it's worth a good effort certainly. I've owned the 190CXPro4 for the past 7 months and feel that it's the best tripod I've ever had. I like the light weight and the fine build quality. I like how it compresses down to about 19-inches which fits the external tripod holder on my Kata 3N1-30 camera bag. The tripod's ability to quickly convert the center post to the horizontal position with a mere button press is excellently implemented and very useful for closeups.</p>

<p>It's not perfect though: as with most 4-section tripods, the bottom gets pretty lean, but with a heavy telelens it's been stable enough. The tripod extended is not tall (I'm your height). There have been a couple of times that I've had to swap it for a larger one for the shoot. I also recommend you regularly tighten all the nuts around the spring clasp fittings as they tend to get slightly loose.</p>

<p>I use the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. It seems like a perfect fit with the 190CXPro4. Fairly small and lightweight, easy to clean, great for heavier lenses, and it looks cool too.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I have used the 55XPROB for years as my walk around tripod with a manfrotto ballhead and find it is a great tripod. With big lenses like the 70-200 F2.8 the 55 is the way to go as it is much more solid. I have carried this along way over many mountains (I live in the Canadian Rockies) and I am very happy with it - especially for bigger lenses and bodies. That said I finally cracked and bought a lightweight carbon fiber tripod and head (3.1lbs all in) but despite the $640 I just paid for it I would not like to try my big white lenses on the new tripod. I would suggest that you either go very light or very solid - the 190 is not that lightweight and is not rigid like the 55.</p>

<p>I don't know how we can make recommendations without knowing what type of images the OP takes. He's mentioned one piece of equipment, but we don't know how he uses it. The Manfrotto is a fine tripod for medium usage. I'd generally suggest a ballhead with a panorama adjustment, unless there's a special need for a video head.</p>

<p>Do check the folded length of the tripod to see if it'll fit in your travel bags. I have a four section Induro instead of a 3 section, just so it'll fit in my luggage.</p>

<p>I own a 190CXPRO3, and like Joshua Lee stated, it's a fairly sturdy tripod for it's weight. It feels a little wobbly when I mount my 5D with a 300mm f/4L, but still it does the trick. My heart fills with love for it whenever I take it travelling, but it's best for medium telephoto lenses or smaller.</p>

<p>I would urge you to invest in a good ball head, like an Arca Swiss type from Really Right Stuff or the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. I cheaped out and bought a middle of the road Manfrotto head. I regret it. I should have doubled the money and bought the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead like I really wanted to buy. If you're going to do this, don't cheap out on the head. If you want a light weight set up, get the Acratech. If you want the very best, get an Arca Swiss type head. If you get a cheap head, you'll just replace it later.</p>

<p>I suppose the same could be said for the sticks, but I think the 190CXPRO3 is fine as a light weight tripod. I don't think I'll have the urge to replace it as my light and compact tripod any time in the near future.</p>

<p>Hello again guys. The picture is definitely becoming clearer. Thanks for the added responses. I'm going to need 2 different tripods with two different heads. I'm not taking my trip until next year so I'm going to opt for the 055cxpro4 first and then purchase the 190cxpro4 before I leave.</p>

<p>You guys have also swayed me towards a ball head and I was originally only looking at Manfrotto. I will now definitely take a look at both Arca and Acratech. I know they're a bit pricier but, again, I don't want to have to do this twice. </p>

<p>Whatever the ultimate set up will be, I can't wait to start using it. I can't believe i've waited this long to purchase a tripod in the first place. I'll let you guys know as soon as I have it in hand in case you're interested. Thanks again for your feedback!</p>

<p>"I am willing to go the most expensive route if I have to. Again, sorry for the redundant question but I still do feel lost with so many options out there. Thanks, and I look forward to reading your responses."<br />A few days ago I felt just like you. I scoured Tripod manufacturers website, read all the reviews, but the choices were just too overwhelming. I wanted something rugged but light and not too espensive. Unfortunately after going through the more expensive tripods such as Manfrotto, Giotto and Gitzo I was shell-shocked by some of the prices. I hardly ever use a Tripod so I could invest my money elsewhere such as in a lens.<br />Another thing that biothered me is that the taller the tripod the more expensive it was. I wanted a Tripod that could reach 6 feet. Not that I'm that tall(only 5'9") but I wanted that extra reach. After searching and searching I finally chose the Slick Pro700 DX which extends to 74" and only cost about 1/4 of the more expensive tripods. Unfortunately it weighs a wopping 7 lbs . Like I said I rarely use a tripod and my main priority was the height and stability. I already own the Slick Pro500 which has served me well (although limited), so changing heads will not be an issue. Maybe in the future if I can afford it I will purchase a carbon-fiber $500+ tripod that will only accumulate dust, but for now I'll stick with the Slick.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You get what you pay for in ballheads. Make sure it'll handle your load with a wide margin of capacity. Also, make sure there's a drop-slot for taking vertical orientation and seriously consider getting one with a panorama function (you lock the ball and can still pan).</p>

<p>As for the tripod, I'd spend the money for carbon fiber. Even CF gets heavy on a long trek. Induro is another brand to consider vs. Gitzo and Manfrotto, but the Manfrotto you've suggest is a good value and sturdy for its price range.</p>

<p>I own a Manfrotto 441 Carbon One (now discontinued) and a Markins M10 head. From what I know now, I will say a few things. </p>

<p>First of all, I will never own another Manfrotto carbon tripod. On a trip to the seychelles I was left with a Duopod and a monopod when one of the legs separated. The cause of the separation was the failure (snapping in two) of one of the expanding collars inside the tripod leg which holds the leg to the hinged top part. This collar was made of cast magnesium alloy - as an engineer it's a part that I would have thought would be spring steel (which would have added about 5g to the weight of the tripod). Poor Design. </p>

<p>I chose Manfrotto because I though the flip-locks were better than twist-locks, after experiences with a cheap and nasty twist-lock tripod. Having subsequently tried a couple of Gitzos, they are a different league entirely and the twist-lock system is superior. </p>

<p>So, I would buy a Gitzo legset instead of Manfrotto. </p>

<p>On the head, I would suggest a Markins Q3. It will easily cope with the kit you mention and rather heavier also. It's small and light. What it is not is cheap. There's plenty of good ballheads out there, but none with the same blend of performance, small size and low weight. When I bought my M10 it was the smallest Markins head, but it is overkill for my kit (5D, 300 F4L IS largest lens, similar size/weight to your 70-200). </p>

<p>I also agree with Sarah's comment about other sources of flex/vibration. It is very noticeable in the tripod ring B on the 300mm lens, that moving the ensemble on the head (on a markins head you set a tension that allows the kit to be moved when you want but letting go of it leaves it in the last place you set) results in significant viewfinder movement as the ring flexes and releases. I have not noticed such a problem on the L-plate on the camera body with shorter lenses, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility. </p>

<p>Hey! Hey! Hey! The bullet has been bit. Thank you everyone for your responses. After taking all input into consideration, as well as my personal needs and wallet size, I have purchased the following:</p>

<p>Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 w/ an Acratech GP Ballhead</p>

<p>I'm sure there are better tripods and ballheads out there but I am amazed at how light and stable the Manfrotto legs are and how solid and functional the Acratech Ballhead is.</p>

<p>I am really looking forward to putting them to use this weekend with some night shots of the L.A. skyline and freeways. I'll be sure to post up my best shot(s). Thanks again!</p>