Good words for new PN rating system.

stamos

<p>OK, My taste is that I liked the old system of detailed rating better. It seems to me that it gave me a better overall sense of how/why people rated photos when I could see if there was a consistent difference in the artistic/creativity ratings. I don't know how other members saw their pictures rated or rated others, but there frequently WAS a difference in how I rated images and how my images were rated. To me the change to a single number for ratings was a dumbing down of the system and encourages flippant responses.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I can't understand how it could possibly be good to not know what the ratings are that people give. Shouldn't people have to be credible for the ratings they give? How could the current rating system possibly be beneficial to us photographers or anyone for that matter, when we have no idea who is rating what? The old system was flawed because of the people that would anonymously go around and give out 3's, as if it felt good. Now, it is even worse in my opinion. I have paid accounts on all the other photography websites that I frequent, but won't consider paying here until something is done about the rating system. No other photography website is like this, and for good reason. Photo.net is the only one! Chip</p>

<p>For me the perfect would be galeries driven not by numbers but by something else, but this is utopia. The today system is not perfect but it is acceptable, it gives views and it does not create tension between members, especially between new and older members. I learnt many things in Photo.net and I try to teach but I never learnt anything from these number, they give views though.</p>

<p>Hi Stamoulis, I agree, I haven't leaned from these numbers either. I do feel the rating system creates tension though. I am not alone on my views, and have heard nothing but complaints about it. The only way for the ratings system to be successful on this site is for there to be transparency, and ideally, comments to back up the numbers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>comments to back up the numbers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is why there is a critique system in addition to the ratings system. You are not forced to use the ratings system in order to get comments.</p>

<p>Don't ask for numbers if you want comments. Ask for comments.</p>

<p>I actually ask for both Josh. If you only use the comment system, your images don't rank overall on the site. So, ratings are somewhat necessary for the whole p.net experience. I don't have any problem with the comment system, it is very similar to other photography sites that I frequent. It is only the anonymous rating system that I find needs a fix. </p>