D60 Flash Exposure Compensation does work in Manual

kinesisphotogear

I have tried using the compensation for the built-in flash with no luck. Zero and

+2 look the same, even with subjects close in. Compensation works in Ap. or

Shutter Priority but I want to drag the shutter a little with control. The

instruction manual only says "You cannot use the flash exposure comp. n the

Basic Zone." Suggestions?

Basic zone is everthing EXCEPT P, Tv, Av, M, and A-DEP. Yes, you can use FEC in M mode. If you want to measure the results, I suggest you use a flash meter, and take an incident reading. You should certainly see a difference. You are trying to see a 2 stop difference with the naked eye. The compensation can be set lower than 0, down to -2 stops, so the spread is +/- 2 stops.

Keep in mind that the built in flash is not very powerful and you can easily exceed it maximum distance. If you are at, or near, it's maximum output already, adding +2 FEC will do nothing. That would explain your results.

Depending on how you tested this, you might want to get closer and compare -2 to +2. In any case FEC should work with the camera in manual mode.

The Canon G1 I use fires the flash at maximum power any time you're manual mode. No metering at all, let alone no FEC. Now that's really lame.

I tried the built-in flash at close distance (~2 feet measuring with a L508 meter) and found that exp. comp. of + or - two stops actually was maybe a stop different and + or - one stop was perhaps a half to 2/3s a stop. I was using regular curtain sync. I plan to purchase the 550EX (eventually) as the 430EZ of course does not operate with this body (most of my serious flash work is with a radio slave and Speedo strobe units).