6x9 Sheet Film

Two23

<p>I've been seeing some cool old folding cameras from the teens and twenties for sale, and they take "6x9 plates." These cameras usually come with film holders. I have a 4x5 and am used to using these, so I'm not put off. Is 6x9 film still available for these old cameras? I suppose 4x5 could be cut down, but how hard is that to do?</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>There are two sizes of 6x9 film. The European size is 6.5 x 9 cm. The American size is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches which is slightly smaller than the European size 6x9 film.</p>

<p>You have to find out which size it uses.</p>

<p>In the early 80s I was living in Germany and bought some 6x9 sheet film for my 2.25 x 3.25 film holders. Didn't work and I was very frustrated in the darkroom trying to load my sheet film holders. Ended up ordering the correct size film from Freestyle.</p>

<p>You can also look at the old 9x12cm cameras. A little larger then 6x9 but still pretty compact for the negative size. You can get Efke 100 from Freestyle. My old Zeiss Maximar with 135 Tessar is certainly able to produce nice negatives. Downsides are no interchangeable lenses and no tilts.</p>

<p>Kent, The 6 1/2 x 9 cm plate cameras are great. I cut all my film for them from larger sheet, since the available film is of only one emulsion. The size is very unique in that a sheet of 5x7 can be cut exactly in four and they fit the holders perfectly. You can also use paper negatives the same way. If you want to try glass plates you can get standard 5x7 picture frame glass and cut it in four to fit the holders, then use liquid emulsions of various types, or home made brews to make your negatives OR POSITIVES! A B&W glass plate positive looks very pretty hanging in a window.</p>

<p> Also 120 roll film is 2 1/2 inches in width, so you just cut strips of 3 1/2 inches and they fit the holders This makes it possible to use any emulsions, including positive slide film in your handy little folder. I have always found these little plate cameras to be very versatile, in that you can take just one picture and process it if you want, or use a roll holder and shoot a whole roll. You can use paper negatives, glass plates, or just about anything you can put in them to expose. They are very compact and offer a huge opportunity to be creative in almost any medium you want to try.</p>

<p>Someone mentioned above that they don't allow you to change lenses. That is true in most cases but some do allow that and have quick change shutter/lens assembly that uses a bayonet mount similar to what is used today. (look at the "ideal and the Berg's") Also many of them used a dopple or double anastigmat lens with the front elements being the same as the back. When you remove one set the focal length increases. For example the 9x12 cameras that use a 135mm double anastigmat can be used with just one element set for about a 210mm lens for telephoto or portrait work. The 6 1/2 x 9 cameras are the same giving you about 160mm. This can be done only with the double anastigmat types and convertible lenses, but there are many of them and they were used specifically on these cameras to make them more versatile..</p>

<p>Cutting the film is very easy. You just put masking tape markers on your cutter, to be able to feel them in the dark. Then slide the sheet up to the tape and cut To cut roll film I made a jig out of two pieces of plastic, hinged with tape. To use it you just put the film in flush with one end then use scissors on the other end to cut the correct length. I did a post on this some time ago, with pictures. I'll try to find it and put the link on here.</p>

<p><a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00QDcA?start=10">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00QDcA?start=10</a> Here is a post where I show a wet plate adapter on a dry plate camera.<br>

<a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00PNen">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00PNen</a> Here is the Post showing the tape markers on a cutting board and the roll film jigs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Cutting the film is very easy. You just put masking tape markers on your cutter, to be able to feel them in the dark.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I second Cliff's idea of cutting film and it is quite easy.<br>

Instead of masking tape as a guide I use the tape stuff used in those Dymo label makers that emboss the letters on the label. This tape is a thick plastic and makes a very good ridge to slide the sheet film up against. I use a rotary cutter with one tape mark at one end for the length and another on the other end for the width.</p>

<p>I have just figured out how small these little dandies are. THey are enticing! So, what are the good ones? I especially like 1920s. What's the difference between Avus and Bergheil? I read somewhere that the Bergheil was for serious amatuers and the Avus was more advanced. Maximar looks pretty cool too.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Ok I will add some confusion; or some clarity too!:</p>

<p>There are also sheet films and glass plate in the nominal "2x3 size" and each is a different size too.<br>

<br /> Thus my Mamyia C3 TLR has a sheet film back; with three film holders; it takes 2x3 sheets; and also 2x3 glass plates.</p>

<p>The 2x3 film insert fits in where a glass 2x3 plate goes.<br>

<br /> If one uses 2x3 films; one uses the 2x3 film insert; then places this in the film holder(s).</p>

<p>If one just uses 2x3 glass plates; you use the same film holder(s); but without the 2x3 film insert.<br>

<br /> You get the nominal 6x6cm image; it is just the mamyia's SHEET film holder is for 2x3" products.</p>

<p>Even more confusing; is there were several 2x3 glass plate sizes too; Mamyia used the more common one.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Speaking of glass plates, I used to be able to cut and whip out dozens of perfect plates. Now I just kind of whittle at them. Here are some of my last ones that are waiting for me to use. You can see they are pretty hacked up. But they still work, so oh well. A croaked old man with croaked glass plates. Seems fitting in a sense.</p><div>00XP8k-286415584.jpg.5a4e284e360b6be14df47ed202e64faa.jpg</div>

<p>Camerapedia has brief overviews of many of your mentioned classics. My Mckeown's Guide is pretty old.<br /> I have an Avus that was fitted with an aftermarket spring back (13.5cm Skopar,) but favorite oldie is a tattered but working Goerz Tenax (+/-1912) w/168mm Dagor.</p>

<p>Tight bellows and the shutters still function perfectly. I"m still trying to get around to playing with wet plates.<br /> Thank you for the link, Cliff.</p>

<p> </p>