Beginner's Street Photography hurdle

mikhail_dsouza

<p>I live in Mumbai, a beginner, and have been shooting around the city randomly, with my d90, for the past one or two months.<br>

On more than three occasions, I've faced hostily from either the subjects or local authorities. Reasons given are ridiculous. For example, two constables threatened to confiscate my camera in a public area where photography is very much allowed. Maybe its because I was shooting next to them. They said that I need permission to take photos in public which is crap.<br>

And a street vendor's eyes went red, and almost had a panic attack, when I tried to capture him heating charcoal in a stove, saying that he would lose his job.<br>

I understand that a subject is free to deny his photo being taken (unless he has done something which doesn't entitle him to any rights) and I respect that. At that time, I maintain my cool, walk away and then continue somewhere else.<br>

But personally, these experiences suddenly create kind of an apprehension when photographing people on the street. Over a couple of days this disappears. I'm sure with time, I'll be numb to the threats et al but does everyone go through this? And how do you avoid or lessen chances of it happening? And I'm not the type that will buy a telephoto lens and shoot from a big distance, likeI've observed many photojournalists do. I have a 18-55 VR, will be buying a 35mm soon.</p>

<p>Assuming you are not Indian looking, you'll probably draw attention most everywhere you go shooting with a dslr. I would use that to my advantage. Arguing about "rights" and "entitlements" especially of street photography in developing nations, no less, isn't very practical and it isn't going to win you any points. </p>

<p>Instead...I would get to know them, joke around a little (or share a cig if you smoke) and you'll gain their trust sooner or later. Remember to respect your subjects...don't sneak around nor act suspiciously. Go back to the same area, buy a drink/snack from the vendor and chill, they'll come around... </p>

<p>I have no idea what the law is on candid photography in Mumbai; for all I know it is a hanging offense. So, i would first find out with absolute clarity what the law is on street photography,etc Further, If a person objects to me shooting them prior to the shot I leave them alone, 99% of the time. the other 1% involves situations where I am shooting police. Also most people I shoot don't know I shot them, usually because i am so close to them. They think I am shooting a subject further away and sometimes even look to see what I shot, if they noticed at all. Be more discreet and learn to handle your camera more quickly. Don't be fumbling with the focus and the exposure and any other gadgets your DSLR might have. Be ready to shoot when you raise the camera.</p>

<p>Leslie C. is quite right on all points. Even in the 'States, we encounter the same, but in certain areas. Being Asian, I get a lot of flak in non-Asian parts of the city. You just have to size up the situation and go from there. With experience, you will be able to sense the general mood of a place; whether it be a potential danger zone or the intellectual's paradise.<br>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBARi09je8"></a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Even in the 'States, we encounter the same, but in certain areas. Being Asian, I get a lot of flak in non-Asian parts of the city.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's sooo funny! "non-Asian part of the city"...What an understatement, that's like the entire US of A minus SF, NYC and a few blocks in LA, Seattle and Chicago. I got regular dirty looks and occasional threats shooting in the South. Mark, are you half Asian only? </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Mikhail,<br>

I do street photography in Mumbai as well. I have the opposite experience. Using the arm-around-the-shoulder technique, everyone in Mumbai is easy to deal with, including the constables. Yes a few places ARE off limits and its not hard to understand after the Taj attack. But within a month after the attack I took images of VT station interiors, by just speaking to the official in charge. The only tool you really need is sweet talk and sincerity in Mumbai.<br>

Hope this helps.<br>

jaina</p>