What's your next camera?

teneson

<p>I've got my eyes open for an original Canon FTb (I already have an FTbN), but only if I can procure one locally in top condition.</p>

<p>But Andrew has made a very insightful point. I know that I spend way too much time thinking about gear, time that would be much better spent devoted to honing my craft. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm thinking about a D3100. If it has the IQ of my D90 and the size and weight of my D60, I'll probably get it. I'll be 67 in a few days and I have a little arthritis in my neck and shoulders so the weight of my gear is becoming a factor. I think a micro 4/3 system is in the not too distant future.</p>

<p>Funny, I've had very little trouble with camera equipment on eBay. I bought one lens that turned out to have a small fungus infection (I should have seen it coming, because the seller was located on the Gulf coast of Texas. a very hot, humid area), but other than that everything's been great. As long as you stick to reputable sources (lots of transactions, 99%+ positive feedback, good descriptions and photos that suggest they actually understand camera equipment) the risk can be kept to reasonable levels. Of course my tune could change if I ever get badly ripped off by an auction that had all the signs of being a good one...</p>

<p>I have to agree on the Pentax 645D. I may have to wait a few years till the price is reduced and forgo the purchase of a new car, but I can live with that. I just want a simple, basic, high mega pixel camera for a moderate price. I don't want video and all sorts of features that I'll never use. We're not quite there yet but it is getting closer. Since the Pentax 645 FA lenses all work on the 645D, I predict that the prices of these used lenses will increase as more 645D bodies are sold. In fact, I've already purchased the 33-55 and 45-85 FA lenses. They were relatively inexpensive (compared to Nikon lenses) and in new condition with warranty cards. </p>

<p>Thanks for the advice, Mark and Marc. I'm well aware of the pitfalls of eBay. While I've had generally good luck using the auction site, I make almost all my camera purchases locally nowadays.</p>

<p>Marc, that's a gorgeous FTb, just the kind of one I'm looking for. I already have an F-1, two F-1n's, two F-1N's, and three EF's, among other FD bodies, but thought it would be nice to reunite my FTbN with its older sibling.</p>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>This FTb replaces one I bought in 1972. You have a great collection of Canon cameras. I went a different path and am collecting cameras that sat on the dealer shelves along side my Canon at the time.</p>

<p>I have Minolta's, Miranda's, Mamiya/Sekors, etc. I still haven't bought a Nikon. A Nikkormat FTN would be perfect but the F3HP is going so cheaply, it is hard to turn down.</p>

<p>I can not call it holiday but the second photographic trip to Sri Lanka in 3 months time, this time I will say there full one month.<br>

I already bought the cameras to ad to my Nikon system which is the D3X and the D2X, the latest are the hasselblad XPAN and the Pentax 645N to take instead of the hasselblad 503CW as the pentax is auto focus and will help a lot specially with the 150m f2.8 lens for street portrait photography.<br>

The XPAN will do me a good job with the Sri Lankan landscape also.</p>

<p>I think I will change my mind. Even though I do not want a Christmas camera my next camera will be a Nikon FM2n. I drove all the way out to Keeble and Schuchat in Palo Alto today to look over various film camera's. I talked to various salesmen and even the repair guy and came back committed to the FM2n. The store is actually in no way about film camera's but they had a used FM2n at the store and I looked at it and found it would be ideal for me. The camera was a bit expensive since it needed new leather or repair but there are other fish in the sea. Mostly I wanted to check out the new Fuji Folder medium format camera but they did not have one nor did anyone ever even hear of it. But at about $1700.00 I would not buy it anyway so it does not matter that much. Still I wanted to look at it. I did buy a box of sensor swabs. The folks at Keeble and Schchat were very nice and helpful. But I plan to start a search for a FM2n at a good price. Probably will just wait until KEH has an EX+ model and buy that.</p>

<p>The Fuji Finepix Real 3-D W3 will be hard to resist. Don't bother looking for it, it will be for cultists. Five bills. Scrunching down hard below the waist to avoid the awful temptation. Life is short tho. Mortality is incurable disease of all of us you know. Denial helps. Cameras are pieces of immortality we latch on to (philosophical tangent sorry) Cameras go on forever... Like that black FTb. Which I owned once long long ago and sold off to buy an F-1(orig) which I sold off. ...Etc etc... Who gets all this crap in my will?</p>