Metering with TTL

hcho22

<p>Hi Everyone,<br>

I'm a little confused. Is there a proper way to meter when you have the on camera flash on TTL mode? When I used my D90 with SB-600 in aperature priority mode, I choose the lowest ISO, desired aperature, and let my flash take care of the rest. When I tested my friend's 5D Mark II with EX580II, the pics came out underexposed everytime. I had to meter the camera to the available light in order to get the right exposure. I'm curious what is the proper way to meter when you have the on camera flash?<br>

Hyung </p>

<p>Nikon's "smart" TTL flash is very clever and has been for several years. It was one of the primary factors in my decision to stay with Nikon when I added a dSLR to my 35mm Nikons a few years ago. Most of the time it handles tricky lighting very well - even backlighting from the sun or bright subjects against very dark backgrounds. Occasionally it can be fooled, like any automated system, but it generally delivers more keepers. Dialing in a little plus/minus EV usually solves most problems. I no longer feel the need to carry a flash meter to ensure good results.</p>

<p>You'd need to ask someone with experience using Canon TTL flash for tips to getting optimal results. I've seen plenty of excellent flash photos, including subtle fill flash, from photographers using Canon gear so there must be some methods that are fairly easy to implement.</p>

<p>You haven't told us how the Canon camera was set up. It makes a difference. In some modes, for example, Canons automatically do fill flash instead of using the flash as the primary light source. This might contribute to the impression of underexposure. Some sample images would help too.</p>

<p>Frank,<br>

When I shoot my D90 with SB600, it comes out at right exposure or a bit over exposed. I then adjust the flash and dial down about 0.3~0.7 EV . I never had to meter through the viewfinder to get correct exposure. I'm just curious if I'm using the TTL mode correctly. Am I still supposed to meter through the viewfinder when I have the on camera flash? If so, I have to crank my ISO way up (1600~3200) to get the correct exposure.</p>

<p>Craig,<br>

Both cameras were set up the same way. Aperature Priority mode, using the bounce flash, shooting indoors. I had my D90 at ISO 400~800 at f1.8. When I applied the same settings on the canon, it came out underexposed. I had to crank the ISO up to ~1600 to get correct exposure. </p>