So many options, would love opinions

cameracrack

<p>I am looking for a camera that would be a work horse and light weight. I am going to be using it for my college courses, personal projects and possibly at some point maybe even business purposes.<br>

I'm looking for 12 mp and up. An aluminum body would also be nice. My budget is 1,700 with lens.<br>

<br /> I was really wanted to get a Pentax K7 but my focus went over the the K5 which will be released next month. Other cameras I was considering were Olympus E-30, Nikon D7000... I also thought about getting a good body and save up for a great lens which I haven't really looked into yet.<br /> What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you in advanced</p>

<p>Do you have any lens compatibility with your existing lenses? For me, that can be a determining factor *if* I have a high quality lens that I love in one brand's system (sometimes there are good adapter rings, though).</p>

<p>Have you decided whether you need full-frame versus DX sensor size? Does that rule out any of your choices?</p>

<p>Per Jennifer, if you have no lenses, I would consider the m4/3 system. You can get awesome results and are very open to all the lenses ever made, and you will have to learn how to make photographs to get results.</p>

<p>I personally have the Olympus E-P2 and realized something important after using it seriously: after many, many camera setups, including full-frame 5D (and many 35mm and 66/67 setups) , it is about taking pictures, and taking them well...more importantly, it's about TAKING them, which often didn't happen with my big cameras...</p>

<p>You want light and good output, consider m43. If you are passionate and driven, that system will work for you...</p>

<p>Just my $0.02</p>

<p>Shawn</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I own an Olympus OM10. If I could get a DSLR that can use the lens I already have for my OM which are quite a few that would be great.</p>

<p>I borrow my husbands Sony A300 but I am looking for a DSLR of my own.</p>

<p>I don't know about using a Micro thirds system such as the Olympus Pen. It seems to just be a step up from a point and shoot. I am looking for full control of settings, high quality images including RAW capabilities.</p>

<p>I'm not sure of what pro work I will be expecting. This is an area I am still exploring and haven't made a decision about it yet. I know I need a camera for whatever comes my way.</p>

<p>Or get a used EOS 5D, no one will doubt your seriousness when you show that camera. It is not a lightweight camera, but probably as light as they can make a full-frame dSLR. Get a couple of fine lenses and anything is possible.</p>

<p>You can use Olympus OM lenses with an EOS-OM adapter, but this should only a temporary solution. Modern cameras work best with electronic AF lenses.</p>

<p>I would pick D 7000 with 18 - 200 Sigma OS.The new D 7000 seems to have great reviews and does just about anything you hope your camera will do and the Sigma 18 - 200 OS is very fine lens that covers most of the optical coverage you may need ,it's a very sharp,very well built zoom lens plus it is about 300$ less than the Nikon 18 - 200.I love Sigma glass and Nikons of course don't need any extra introduction,we all know they built very fine products.Good Luck.</p>

<p>If you can share lenses with your husband getting a Sony makes sense. Otherwise I would handle all the cameras in your price range and see which feels best in your hands, has controls you like, and offers all the lenses, flashes, and assorted doodads you need. If you are serious about turning pro, you may be better off with Nikon or Canon as they have a more extensive system.</p>

<p>As to which lens to get, I suggest a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 with or without VC. It's a good general purpose lens that fits into your budget. You can add a longer lens when you can afford one.</p>