Lightroom-Photoshop Workflow

kevin_mahoney1

<p>My advice: Upgrade to Lightroom 3 as fast as possible. The tool improvements are far more advanced and versatile. So are the color profiles. So are the lens corrections. </p>

<p>Then load it up with plug-ins that are all over the internet.</p>

<p>I load the cards into LR3 with a back-up designated to a separate hard-drive. I do use Photoshop CS5 because it has very advanced tools like Content Aware Fill that is simply amazing. Photoshop is actually part of LR ... you can simply click on open in PS, and after you do further retouching, the file is placed back into your LR Library for that wedding for final processing.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ugrade to LR3 and make use of the lens corrections too. I shoot some interiors and have found them a great asset.</p>

<p>As said, the new update has made the flow much faster saving me about 20% over the LR2 flavor.</p>

<p>I download to a tethered backup drive via a good card reader, import from there into LR3, process by working through the images, and as I see keepers, I mark them a "5" and do whatever I want to for processing at that time. Once complete, I use the filter tool to select all those I kept with a "5" start rating, then scan them quickly again to be sure I want them all included. Then export to another drive (also tethered) and to smugmug.</p>

<p>Share the link with the client .... done.</p>

<p>Can I just push the "repeat" button? I agree with everything above. In a nutshell, here is my workflow<br>

1. Import RAW images into Lightroom<br />2. Weed out any "horrible" shots, vastly over or under exposed etc.<br />3. Edit exposure (referring to the overall tonality of the image, not the "exposure" slider)<br />4. Fix White Balance if necessary<br />5. Color tag those shots that I will burn as final proofs<br />6. Do a few more creative effects on those final images (play with clarity a little, maybe vibrance)<br />7. Burn Full Size JPEG's to a specific folder.<br>

Photoshop<br />1. Open about 10 images at a time in PSCS5 and I use Nik Software's PS Plug in to help skin tones. There are a variety of things that I do to smooth skin, both with the plug in and with PS's tools.<br />2. Any other creative effects I deem neccessary (add text, vignette, selective color, etc.)<br>

I know that I could probably do just about all of it in Lightroom, but I'm more comfortable with PS from a creative aspect, so I continue to use it. I spend equal amounts of time in each program.</p>

• 10 months later...

<p>Hi Chauncey<br>

just wondering : when you say you use Nik Software's PS PlugIn to hlep skin tones, which actual Nik Plugin do you use for that? Dfine? Viveza ? ColorEfex? I currently use a 3rd-party program (outside of CS5) to improve skin-tones, but i would like to get Nik Plugin so i can do this from within CS5. (or LR3 which i am thinking about getting).<br>

many thanks!</p>