Umbrella`s and flash

sunsets

<p>Hi everyone I was looking to purchase maybe a pair of umbrella`s. My pictures look flat and boring. I am a beginner for the past 30 years but now I want to step up a notch and apply some much needed light. I shoot a Canon 5dmii and have a prime 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2L, 24-70mm 2.8L. I also have a 580 exii flash and the remote trigger for it. Now I looked at Adorama and they have 29 pages of umbrella`s I dont mind buying another speed lite so I am not tied to an outlet. Is that the way I should go and if so another 580 or the 430ex? Then which umbrella I want a good sturdy one but there are too many and dont know anything about them. I will be shooting my wife and kids. Gold, silver, shoot through, white with black just dont know where to start. Thanks in advanced for all of your help. Bobby</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My pictures look flat and boring</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And so the answer is an umbrella? As far as what umbrella to get, the larger the light source (the proposed umbrella) in relationship to your subject, the softer the light. I might recommend the cheapest (and largest you feel you need) and then find out if you even like the umbrella. Some umbrellas are reflective, some shoot through, and some either/or. All else being equal (and it never is!) a shoot through umbrella allows you to get the light source <em>closer</em> to your subject and this is, in general, a good thing. There is also an "umbrellabox", a cross between a softbox and an umbrella. In my experience, these have a softer light than a standard umbrella, reflective or shoot through. As to whether you should buy another flash, I don't know. It all depends on what your are taking a picture of and how you want it to look. Then you can determine if you <em>need</em> another flash. Again, in general, you start with one light, you key light. If you have no other way of controlling the contrast, you can add a 2nd fill light. If you need some separation, you can add a hair light. And finally, if shooting against a backdrop, it is a good idea to light the backdrop.</p>

<p>Now, all that said, I think you should determine <em>why </em>you don't like your images. Have you posted anything for critique? Have you studied anything about lighting? Strobist.com is a good place to start with off camera shoe mount flashes anyway:</p>

<p>http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>I go with John's suggestion: Get a cheap one, preferably one of the kits with different reflectors.It's better to buy 'better'(i.e. more expensive) stuff when you have an idea what you want/need.A book i can recommend is Joe McNally's Hotshoe diary.<br>

Good luck A.</p>

<p>Photoflex is the brand we use at my weekend job. They are pretty sturdy and hassle free but there are tons of companies who sell umbrellas. I would not sweat this decison too much, just make to avoid the cheapos on eBay, although even those might do the trick.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help I have been reading strobist 101 and picked up a couple books lots to try to digest. There is a lot more to the flash than a burst of light so I will continue to read and come back and ask the questions I just cant figure out. Thanks for the help Bobby</p>