cxc

I want to replace my 4x5 wooden field camera with a monorail, with

full, genrous movements front and back. It need only accommodate

lenses in the 110-240mm range, with no macro work, so I think a 12"

rail should suffice.

So, which cameras can go in and out of the backpack with the minimum

of trouble? Ideally, I'd like a camera that doesn't have to be

disassembled at all, not even removing the lensboard. All else being

equal, the winner will be the less bulky/heavy.

It seems to me that the Arca F-Line Compact fits my bill nicely. If

anyone has any comments specifically on using the folding rail, I'd

surely like to hear them.

The second candidate is the Linhof Technikardan, though I'd have to

see for myself how hard it is to fold up (I've heard some horror

stories).

If neither of these work out, then the F-Line Classic and the Toho

get added to the list, for their ease of partial disassembly.

Does my analysis make sense?

TIA,

CXC

<i>The second candidate is the Linhof Technikardan, though I'd have to see for myself how hard it is to fold up (I've heard some horror stories). </i>

People who had trouble with it did not read the manual. It is so simple and quick to set up I am always amazed people complain about folding it. Of course if you take it out of the box and put it in you back pack, surely you will have problems trying to open it. When I got mine I did it a couple of times at home and afterwards it has been second nature.

Chris,

I went throught an analysis similar to yours about 7 months ago. I chose the Arca-Swiss F Line Field Camera with 24 cm bellows and the additional 50 cm bellows and 25 cm extension rail. I use the camera for landscape and urban images. The unit plus my lenses fits nicely into a Kelty backpack or into a tamtac strong box--for me the latter is easier in town. On the road I use the Kelty pack for obvious reasons.

The wood field cameras I owned are great; I sold one to make way for the A/S. I do not regret the change. The A/S, IMHO, is stable, compact, and quite versatile, everything you have probably read about it. I cannot fault the Linhof. It is obviously a fine camera. Users of it sometimes note it is a bit tricky to set up. And failure to learn how to set it up correctly may compromise the bellows. I had experienced similar problems with the wood field camera I sold, and thus it seemed to me a case of " been there, done that ."The folding rail on the A/S is easy to use, and the entire system is very smooth. I case it with either bellows and attach one lens. usually, i have an idea of the lenses I will nedd and thus outfir the camera at home with the "starter" equipment.

Thus far, Ihave no criticisms of the unit. Perhaps that is the honeymoon, but Ihave been lucky enough to use and to borrow a variety of LF equipment over the years, and the A/S seems to me to be the best that I have used thus far. In additon, its system is quite verstaile,allowing you to grow without having to replace or compromise your shooting when/if your interests develop.

Hope this helps.

Bob

You might think of the older "technica on a rail" made by Linhof. I think it was a "color" model of some sort. It goes from $200-$600 or so on eBay. I don't remember the exact name but I have a friend I got one for & it works well for him. It is basically the older Technica type camera without the clamshell fold-up. It is on a rail & works smoothly & seems to last forever like most things linhof.

Arca-Swiss evidently just introduced a new fieldcamera design

that hasasimplified rear standard: no tits or swings. the y work

closely with landscape photoraphers Jack Dykinga and Clifton

Carr as wel las consulting with others, so this might be

something you would be interested in.<P>The Canham DLC is

also something I would recommend you look at, and if you have

the chance handle: 4lbs, no need to shange or disconeect

bellows to collablse or set up camera, the standard bellows

easily accommodates (with movements) lenses on the standard

flat panel boards from 58mm to the Nikon 720mm T-nikkor (max

extention is about 550mm). You do have to removethe

lensboard to remove or change lenses, and the lens does need

to be removed to fold the camera up. It took me about 45

seconds to set up the camera from the time I unzippedthe case

to putting the lens on and startng to focus; graflock back; built in

groundglass fresnel combination; designed to take Cambo/

Calumet viewing accessories.; very solid and rigid once it is set

up and locked down. The drawbacks for me were; the placement

and bullseye type levels; the zero detents for tilt and swing on the

camera I had were not as positive as I would have liked. But all

in all the camera was very rugged and travels very well. Good

value for the money. i give an A or B+ rating.<P>To compare it

tothe TK45s. Let me compare these two cameras to cars; the

DLC is a volkswagen Beetle and the TK45s is a Porsche 941.

Christopher. I'm not certain there is a dealer where you live, but look into the TOHO camera. Kerry Thalmann uses one and gave a glowing report on the camera. Look on largeformatphotography.info. It's a compact monorail. Weighs under four pounds, and is relatively inexpensive. Badgergraphic.com, here in the US, sells them and ships worldwide. You are probably going to need to remove the lens on any monorail you select. It would be more practical and safer for transport.

There aren't very many field monorails. Even the new Arca-Swiss doesn't do full movements at both ends. Fortunately, there is a lighter, more flexible field monorail that does have full movements at both ends. The Toho (that's an "h" not a "y") FC-45X sounds like a candidate.

You do have to do some disassembly with a Toho, but in practice this is very quick and easy - much easier than it looks. All at less than 1.4kg (less than 3 lbs). And, I should add, this is a stiff little camera, even when using a 360mm lens (full bellows draw).

If you are backpacking, this camera is very hard to beat. See review at:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Maybe I shouldn't share that secret ;-) but you should have a look at the Toyo VX-125 which is still, on my opinion, the best compact field monorail of the moment. A single bellows and rail for 65 (35 with recessed board) to 300mm lenses (400 tele) and the possibility to extend to 700mm with appropriate accessories. The basic set folds flat and small and is the lightest monorail with geared movements. Unfolding and folding the camera is as simple as using a compact umbrella. There are some good reviews on Tuan's LF page.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/roundup4x5.html