Picking a Seemless Backdrop

brittany_mccoy

<p>Hello! Ok so here is my dilemma/question... I decided I wanted to experiment with a in-house studio per say...mustly I wanted a backdrop to try certain pictures with such as formal Maternity, Children, etc. I purchase the beginner backdrop package from Aura Backdrops <a href="http://www.aurabackdrops.com/beginner-pack-p-353.html">http://www.aurabackdrops.com/beginner-pack-p-353.html</a> now mind you I dont need anything to ritzy.Well after fiddling with the Black and White muslins that came with my stand I have found I hate the cloth backdrops that I received they are huge which I like but how on earth can I keep the wrinkles out. So I have decided to look into seemless backdrops or clothes whichever you prefer to call them. My question is where are so legit seemless backdrops for reasonable prices? Do they really work as far as being seemless, would you ever have to iron, etc. I peeped out the Picture People ( a professional photography studio in my local mall) and show a beautiful damask backdrop completely seemless and smooth all over...that what I want... now where to find it :/<br>

<br>

help...please :)</p>

<p>The trick to not showing wrinkles in a fabric backdrop is to move the subject far enough away from it that the wrinkles are out of focus. That also gets rid of many of the shadows.</p>

<p>Seamless paper is quite a different thing from fabric backgrounds. It is smooth, comes on a roll, is available in lots of colors, and is expendable (i.e., when it'd dirty or wrinkled you just cut it off and throw away the bad part).</p>

<p>But it's heavy to ship, and awkward to store.</p>

<p>The local studio doesn't have to setup/tear down their backdrop so it can be ironed, or steamed smooth, and will stay wrinkle free.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. If I went the paper route I would assume I could "hang" it over the backdrop stand like I do with my muslins...correct? I've seen vinyl, paper, and all sorts of types I guess my biggest concern is affordablity and quality. I want something that will look smooth all around . sounds like with the paper you just roll it back up and boom its stored away...does it really work like that? I would like black and white...and possibly a damask one as well. Does anyone know if you can get a damask pattern that is seamless or paper?</p>

<p>My wife has <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Steamer-0601-ESTEAM-Travel/dp/B0018ZHHS4">one of these</a> for steaming the wrinkles out of clothes, it works great for cloth backdrop wrinkles, too. Much easier than ironing, since you can use this while the backdrop is suspended. It's not as effective as ironing when it comes to deep creases from folding, but it softens them enough to make some distance between subject and backdrop effective.</p>

<p>The only downside to this machine is that if you use tap water or even bottled water, eventually (maybe every 3 months, and she uses it nearly daily) minerals build up on the heating element, and you need to dissolve them with a specific solution. I'm sure it can be done more cheaply with household liquids, but neither of us are chemically inclined enough to know what will work without ruining the machine. You can avoid this with distilled water, but that's probably more expensive than the cleaner.</p>

Seamless paper comes on a roll like wall paper or a window shade. You hang the roll and pull the paper down behind the subject or all the way down onto the floor for them to sit on or stand on for full length shots. As was already said, if it gets dirty or wrinkled you just cut it off and pull down some more off the roll.
James G. Dainis

<p>Think of seamless paper as a giant roll of toilet paper :-)</p>

<p>One thing to be aware of though with seamless paper, are your floors hardwood or carpet? If you have carpet not only will the paper wrinkle easily anytime someone walks on it, but anyone wearing heels will poke holes all over it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I went the paper route I would assume I could "hang" it over the backdrop stand like I do with my muslins...correct?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Like Luc said, a roll of paper is a roll of paper. It goes on the crossbar of your background like a big roll of TP. When the model steps on it, that part might get punctured, torn, or dirty, so tear off the bad piece and roll up the rest when you're done. Make sure you clamp the ends of the roll to keep it from unraveling when you don't want it to. Always store it on end, because if you lay it on the floor, it'll get a flat spot and will look like a washboard the next time you unroll it. For cloth, clamp it across the top bar of the background holder. Clothespins aren't strong enough, but instead of fancy photo clamps buy a bag of plastic spring clamps in varying sizes at Lowe's (tool department). They come in a net mesh bag, and they're cheap. As for resources, have you looked at <a href="http://www.cowboystudio.com/">Cowboy Studio</a>? They're inexpensive with great shipping service.</p>

<p>Thansk everyone...I am starting to get the idea o the paper lol. Seems affordable, how about the quality as far as it being seamless? jay- I appreciate your advice :) I think I might stray from having to steam my muslins...honestly its more of a pain then I want to worry or focus on. what about vinyl....should this be a option I look at? Thoughts?<br>

D.B. Iam checking Cowboy Studio now as we speak :) thanks!</p>

<p>Vinyl is an option, but is heavy and even less transportable than paper. Vinyl is expensive, but doesn't have to be replaced like paper.</p>

<p>Any continuous surface can be made "seamless" by forming an appropriate curve between the floor and the hanging portion of the b/g. Best is a "cove" permanently built between your studio floor and wall. I find paper easier to curve and control than fabric, and since I don't have much room in my studio, I can't get the separation necessary to use fabric b/gs successfully.</p>

<p><Chas></p>