Loose FD Lens Hoods

geoffgp

<p>Live and learn. Here's a discussion of something called "nubbies" (not to be confused with "newbies" or "nubiles"): <a href="00S1eH">http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00S1eH</a> where I am educated.</p>

<p>I just ordered a BS-55 lens hood for my FD 50mm f/1.4, only to discover that my f/1.4 is the "new" FD and takes a BS-52 hood instead. If there's anyone out there who would swap, let me know right away or I'll send it back.</p>

<p>Slight digression and trivial point, but the BS-52 is less common than the BS-55, although you should be able to find one on the hated auction site. </p>

<p>As I recall it, the SSC breechlock lenses came with a full set of accessories, including a hood, a case, and that ridiculous vinyl strap for the case. But by the time the FDn lenses came out in the late 1970s, Canon had cheaped out, and you only got lens caps, at least with the common consumer lenses. You had to buy the hood separately. Hence, 55mm hoods outnumber 52mm hoods considerably. (This is depressing, since it shows that I am old enough to have bought both breechlock and FDn lenses at retail.)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just ordered a BS-55 lens hood for my FD 50mm f/1.4, only to discover that my f/1.4 is the "new" FD and takes a BS-52 hood instead. If there's anyone out there who would swap, let me know right away or I'll send it back.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ha, I've made the exact same mistake!<br>

Another item for the orphan bin.</p>

<p>I called B&H and they issued a return authorization, but it was definitely MY mistake, not theirs. I got what I ordered. I thought I'd send it back so it would be available to someone who actually needed it. I only paid $7 for it, so it wasn't much of a loss anyhow.</p>

<p>I did find the BS-52 on eFence, but it's $20. I may just screw in a $2 rubber hood instead.</p>

<p>As for the OP, if it wasn't clear, the discussion of the "nubbies" was because they are apparently the part that wears out on these hoods, and there were some discussions at the link I gave above about how to "renew" the parts.</p>

<p>I've found that a few small pieces of black electrical tape stragegically placed will take up the slack and keep you safe from "floppy hood syndrome". A large roll of tape will allow you to modify approximately 18,347 plastic hoods. Hope this helps!</p><div>00XK5K-282503584.jpg.2c610a9a77d3c9790587f162cf39b72a.jpg</div>

<p>JDM,</p>

<p>Thanks for posting that link. I thought I was having an old man moment remembering the original hood for my 50mm f/1.4 was metal. I purchased it in 1972.</p>

<p>My current model of the FTb with 50mm f/1.4 has the plastic version of the BS-55 hood. It has a manufacture date of 1973.</p>

<p>With all the help here, especially the duct (duck) tape solution, I went ahead and bought a loose BS-52 on eBay for about $8. Loose nubbies aren't as much fun as loose nubiles (as the search engines suggest), but they are cheaper.</p>

<p>Thanks all. ;)</p>