Nikon Wednesday Pic 2010: #37

Matt Laur

<p>I was only able to view quickly, but what I did see made me go WOW. I wonder just how far this envelope can be pushed. I will be back later to comment on some of them.<br /> My selection today was taken on the 1st Friday of Sept at a Blue grass Concert here in Benton, KY.<br /> Taken with my Nikon D90, Sigma 24-70 @ 70mm, f5.6, 1/60, iso 800, hand held. The performers are usually looking for something different.</p>

<p>phil b<br /> benton, ky</p>

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Went to a LaborDay/End-of-Summer party and as the night descended, I kept pushing the ISO up on my D700 to play. By about 10pm the keg was about empty but the bonfire was bright so I grabbed this of one of the guests. If I'd had a VR mounted I might have erased any hand-hold shake, but I thought this rather fit anyway as the title is descriptive of the subject. D700 @ ISO 4000, Nikkor 24-85 @ 85 and f/4 for.6 sec.</p><div>00XIJF-281165584.thumb.jpg.3e4c8240f75449faf98c6a1a39f3cad7.jpg</div>

<p>Great photos. I especially like the contributions from Shane S, Kevin D and the shot of the Bodie Hotel. I was at a local wetland here in S Florida called Wakodahatchee Wetlands and got close to a Great Heron with my D200 & 70-200 VR. </p><div>00XIJh-281169584.jpg.2d031557f5d0e75270bdbbc98fbf0708.jpg</div>

<p>Some great work this week - the macros are especially stunning and Matt's photo is flawless!</p>

<p>A late post of a shot from the Summer. This is Holy Cross Church, Mwnt, which is on the coast in mid-Wales. Taken on an overcast, very windy day (handheld) the isolation is obvious - this is not an artefact, there really is nothing else there!</p>

<div>00XIJn-281167584.jpg.87cbe2f5b29f7a9255276f49edae7440.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for showing us your nuts Matt, they go nicely with Jeffs' balls, which are stunning by the way.<br>

Excellent bug shots from Jeannean and Roberta as always, with stunning submissions from Pascal B, Keith O, and William P; but the bizarre looking bug award goes to Mark O'Brien, according to my daughter "that thing's weird".<br>

Mike C- beautiful colours<br>

Don Harper- a moment that the bride will treasure captured wonderfully<br>

Ton Mestrom- that image really appeals to me on many different levels</p>

<p>Not a bad or boring shot in the thread, so I'll balance things out a bit with mine. Went for a walk on Saturday and the most exciting thing I saw was some mushrooms....</p><div>00XIKw-281179584.jpg.2c4773e730ddcd4cecb925fa05bfeeb5.jpg</div>

<p>Matt: Great colors and composition.<br /> Jeff: LAPP-fantastic, so creative, perfectly captured.<br /> Richard: you captured the "childhood essence" in all of us, great candid shot, color, lighting perfect.<br /> Matthew: your flower just "bursts" out of your pic, great color, tack sharp!<br /> Sanford: Great pic of a majestic bird, color, sharpness, right on.<br /> Paula: Vivid color and composition<br /> Mike C-your pic looks "other worldly", color rendition, composition, spot on.<br /> Dave: I wish I had a pic of my Dad with me-a great piece of your family history.<br /> Jose-tack sharp pic of North Island, well composed.<br /> Sen C-I'm a primate junkie, so I just think this is a great photo of a Beautiful Primate.<br /> Kent: Creative and unique composition.<br /> Rick: Great "Reflection", creative composition.<br /> Kevin: Being "Different" is most definitely OK!!!! Tack sharp pic, with the title makes you smile<br /> Andrew: Candid pic of Ana-Conda, way to be "ready to shoot", hats off to your ultra fast reflexes to catch this reptile with it's mouth wide open!<br /> Todd: Great Lighting, colors, shadows, of a truly Classic Automobile!<br /> Doug: Great image.<br /> Aquinaldo: "Shades of Ansel Adams" quality to me!!!</p>

<p>My pic is from Labor Day weekend, at Provincetown, Cape Cod, Ma. It's taken inside the front door of the Marine Store on Commercial Street.</p><div>00XINO-281203584.jpg.305f7d34fd28ec677e32bf5451ade3ee.jpg</div>

<p><strong>WedNEsDAy PiC #37</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

The senior EDFL grand finals were decided over the weekend. While the players occupy centre stage it was interesting to take some shots that offer a different view from an umpire’s perspective (in this instance, the boundary umpire).</p>

<p>Camera: Nikon D300<br>

Lens: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200 mm f/2.8G IF-ED VRII<br>

Settings: 70 mm, 1/1603 sec, f/4 and ISO 200 (AP, hand held, UV filter)</p><div>00XINS-281203684.thumb.jpg.f9304856ededf96ef47db0229b4434be.jpg</div>

<p>Happy Wednesday, everyone! My picture for this week is of star-trails captured in Show Low - Pinetop, Arizona. This location is about a 4 hr drive from Phoenix. The night sky is incredibly clear here, you can see thousands of stars and the Milky Way. I used the interval timer for his picture, 120 30 sec pictures for a total exposure of 1 hr.<br>

There are so many stars in the sky. Many of these have planets, possibly with life, even intelligent life. Photographers there are capturing star-trails with our sun a single star in it...you are being photographed as you make this picture!!!! Now isn't that a humbling thought?</p><div>00XIO2-281207584.jpg.078a26600049e5fcefa41c5b1c1d06ec.jpg</div>

<p>Hamish Gray nice environmental portrait<br>

Anish, hot with nice details and DOF control<br>

Dave Lee, my favorite for the backend story<br>

Sean C. love it, wonderful detail and rim lighting<br>

Doug Rice, who can resist the teleport<br>

Mark O'Brian, wonderful macro of something I've never seen</p>

<p>Lots of other great images here this week.</p>

<p>Don Harper</p>

<p>Well I'm not sure where this day went but this is sure the latest that I have ever posted. I guess better late than never and besides, I don't want to be the one responsible for the cannon folks getting the better of us. :-) This shot is from a few weeks ago as I haven't had a chance to do any work on the 230 photos that I shot this past weekend while on a four day sailing adventure off the coast of Maine.</p><div>00XIPZ-281221584.jpg.f32af0d311d18307882e965bc1c50597.jpg</div>

<p>To be a real photographer, you need at least one picture of a cat, ideally a close-up showing razor sharp eyes with magic bokeh; alternatively, you have a picture of a dog, ideally a cost-up showing razor sharp eyes, or even better, a running dog with razor sharp eyes . Oh, I missed this chance...</p><div>00XIQq-281235584.jpg.1c4d4b6d42257be2804efb2480bbde88.jpg</div>

<p>Nikon Buddies,<br>

It's always a beautiful day in this neighborhood, and today is no exception. Special mention goes to Bill B, Finlay J, Sen C, Kevin D, Todd J, Narayan K (my kids were fascinated).<br>

My post is a burned out lightbulb, but I liked the slight ripple in the glass and the pattern of the filament.</p><div>00XIR2-281237584.jpg.6fad45b469ad9d2a982bd2018371b960.jpg</div>