Student version software upgrades

eric_m4

<p>I'm considering getting a college/student version of CS5 and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any issues when it comes time to upgrade to future versions? Is the student version a "water downed" version of full version? Can you later upgrade if you're <em>not</em> a student? In other words, are there any strings attached? The price is so low it almost seems to good to be true. <br />Thanks</p>

<p>The student version is the full version. They discount it to students and educators because they know they can't afford much and are using it for educational purposes, not for business and such. But keep in mind that it can only be put on 2 computers, so use it wisely (not give to other people, etc. in case your computer takes a dive or you purchase a new one).<br>

When you get it, you'll have to provide academic proof (i.e. student ID and tuition statement/bill, etc.) among other things before you ever get the codes. So make sure that you have this information ready to speed up the process once you receive the item. <br>

Good luck and enjoy! :)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>There is missing information above.</p>

<p>The student version of Photoshop CS5 is the Extended Version. You cannot upgrade to a standard Photoshop release from the Extended version. The cost for the upgrade is significantly higher than for the standard version.</p>

<p>However, it depends on how many upgrades you plan to do. The current permium in upgrade price for the Extended version is $150. If you bought CS5 (non-student, standard version), it would take three upgrades to equal the price of the student (extended) version plus three upgrades. So unless you plan to upgrade with every new version for at least four versions, it makes sense to buy the student version. Just be aware that you *cannot* upgrade to standard Photoshop at the typical $150-200 upgrade price, but instead at $350.</p>