dark vertical stripes on film

<p>Hello all,<br>

I would like to receive your opinion on this problem I encountered on the film developed by a professional (???) lab.<br>

Some roll present on some photograms (or may be only in some is easily visible) strange vertical dark stripes, this is easily seen when there is an even surface like the sky.<br>

The operator at the lab say is not a processing problem but could be a problem of the film, this seems to me very unlikely for the following reason:<br>

4 different kind of emulsion (provia 100F, velvia 50, velvia 100F, provia 400X) present the problem;<br>

Different rolls of the same emulsion (of the same production number) do not show the problem<br>

Some rolls where bought in different shops and in different time<br>

More, other rolls present some other issue that are of the responsibility of the lab (they admitted in) like stains and photograms thta has been cut in the middle (!!!!) instead in between two photograms (was not easy to identify where to cut because was dark picture at sunset, but when in doubt one should check 2 times or not to cut, don’t you think?).<br>

I gave these rolls the first day after the lab open after summer holidays so I suspect some problem with the chemicals, even if when I brought the rolls, they told me it should be ready in 2 days instead of the day after because they where checking and setting the machine, the chemicals, etc. and I specifically asked to not process in the first batch.<br>

Do you think that the picture that do not show this issue could have this sort of problem anyway? May be it is not visible because there is not an even surface or because the problem does not presents in form of stripes but interest all the area of the photogram (some rolls are OK, with brilliant colors, others are a bit dull and now I have the doubt).<br>

So in conclusion: in your opinion is this a developing issue? Is it possible to do something to rescue the correct image (digitally or better the film).<br>

In the meantime I started serching another lab, I can’t trust this anymore.</p>

<p>There could be a film error such as the film is bad. Not every batch of film produced from the manufacturer is good. Looks like the processor and or the chemicals aren't working properly. Perhaps you should bring it to the attention of the Lab maybe they need to have the machine serviced.</p>

<p>Bad film can also mean a bad cartridge that isn't calibrated correctly and the film is dragging on it causing the vertical lines.</p>

<p>Hi Diego,</p>

<p>The lines on your film appear to be inconsistent in width.<br>

It suggests to me that a chemical didn't do its job properly.</p>

<p>If you had access to some E6 bleach (toxic) you could try re-bleaching and fixing it.<br>

Naturally you would need to re-stablize the film after washing, then dry it somewhere dust free.</p>

<p>I'm only hazarding a guess not having seen higher resolution images of the scan.</p>

<p>Does it appear to be on the surface of the film or in the emulsion?</p>

<p>The marks on my film were crap straight off the rollers, straight vertical lines<br>

interspersed by spots mostly round and all the same shape, spots that look like a roller squeegee had deposit its scum on it.</p>

<p>Cheers<br>

Darran</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Duane,<br>

I have already spoken to the mans at the lab, they admitted (how they could denie?) the wrong cut and the stains on some picture but they denied theyr responsibility for this stripes. They did not offer to refund the price of the processing nor the price of new film.<br>

Regarding the stains on the film I notisched that 2 frames of different rolls show exactrly the same stain (same position, same shape) but one stain is yellow and the other is blue, it look like the two pieces of film stitched togheter and when detached the layer of the film have been damaged.<br>

I can't trust this lab anymore, the fact they do not admit theyr fault demonstrate to be uncorrect with a customer and if they really do think it's not theyr fault is even worst because they do not investigate the problem to remove it. Well, I lost some picture but they have arleady lost two customer (me and a friend of mine, other than a colleague of mine that even will be not a frequent customer asked me where to print the pictures of her wedding) and all the others I have the opportunity to speak with.</p><div>00XF1l-278057584.thumb.jpg.2ce812e8ca627a01523f1b5df4d45b37.jpg</div>