The Quality of the Light

the_mongrel_cat

<p>Hi<br /> I've just been practising taking pictures of my beautiful new niece and I have run into something that I'm unsure how to get round.<br /> Basically, the quality of the light is somewhat muddy (I don't know how else to describe it). And I'm unsure as to how I can solve it. When I see this picture in my head it is nice and crisp and clear. The light (whilst soft) has that brilliance in it - the skin tones are bright without being blown out etc.<br /> I'm thinking that it may be one of the following problems<br /> 1 - Underexposure<br /> 2 - My post production technique<br /> So to put it into one question <em>How can I improve my light?</em> The setup I use is 3 nikon sb600 speedlights off camera. All in behind one bedsheet as a diffuser to camera left.</p>

<p>If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful for the input. Thanks</p>

<p>David, it is your lighting. Move the subject closer to the light source (or the light source closer to the subject), and make sure it's diffused. For example, if it is a single soft box, then move the soft box closer to the baby. It will give you that bright effect, while reducing shadows and making a nice soft lighting on the baby. You may need a little reflector to the right to fill it in, but I would think putting even a small soft box next to the subject would do the trick.</p>

<p>How are you metering, and controlling the light (in terms of power)? This sort of a situation calls for manual exposure settings so that the camera isn't confused by the black background. It has no idea that's a caucasian baby, and assumes that whatever it is, it needs to be 18% grey. So, manual exposure, and manual flash power settings, and push things up until just before you get clipped highlights. Shoot RAW, and go from there. You are, indeed, underexposed.</p>

<p>To add just a little background info... remember the inverse square law affects your lighting. Assuming the light source remains unchanged (your flashes), if you have a certain brightness level at subject distance X, then if you double the subject distance to 2X, then the brightness level will be 25% of what it was at X. So if you halve the subject distance to 1/2 x, then the brightness level will be 400% of what it was at X. You can also experiment with different diffuser material. White rip-stop nylon fabric (available by the yard from fabric stores) is also a good diffuser for shining lights through. Or you can hang it over a bright sunny window and it will bathe that whole part of the room in nice natural diffused lighting for some very nice portraits.</p>

<p>This really seems to work better for me when rotated. I processed it in Lightroom and gave it a bit more exposure then dodged the mans arms and minus clarity and sharpness with the adjustment brush. I sharpened the entire image then softened using noise reduction, sounds schizophrenic I know.</p><div>00XDX0-276753684.jpg.f23c2f4aeb2928d9678b6c863919bc1b.jpg</div>

<p>Infants skin is particularly difficult to render with pleasing aesthetic quality.</p>

<p>Why?..well; have a look at the skin of a infant from a med/anatomical POV. Not too pleasing to the eye is it?</p>

<p>Photographing babies follows a wonderful understanding found in the medical profession.<br>

"Babies are NOT "little adults".</p>

<p>Their veins ride much closer to the surface. Their skin reacts wildly to fluctuations in light and temperature. Simply repositioning a infant will cause color shifts; no, not in the recording medium, but in the skin itself due to altered blood flow.</p>

<p>While quite possible to diffuse strobes to capture the subtle intricacies of infants skin, it is very difficult.</p>

<p>May I suggest you lose the strobes for a while and try natural light, perhaps from a northlight window with diffusing material and reflectors. My guess is that your results will be far better if not more predictable.</p>