So many lenses how do I choose

jon_seneca

<p>I mainly photograph nude models for half body and fully body portraits using strobes. I Recently got a new camera and I am looking for something sharp and decently fast. I dont have a ton of money and use d700. please tell me why the specific lens is best and any positives or negatives that go along with it. </p>

<p>On my D700 the lens used most frequently for nudes (and everything else) is the excellent 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5. Compact, sharp and available for well under $100. The lens is perfect for quickly zooming between full-length and tighter shots. It also has good close-up capability. I use it in low, available light shots, too, since the D700 has excellent image quality at ISO 5,000 if needed. For tighter portraits, or to separate the model from the backdrop more, I use the 85mm f/2 or 105mm f/2.5. I also occasionally use a 35mm or 50mm lens, but generally the 28-70mm is all I need. You certainly don't need fast, expensive lenses for studio work, especially since it's unlikely you'll be shooting wide-open with strobes anyway.</p>

<p>

<p>On my FX bodies, here are the lenses I use for full length and half length individual portraits of adults (nude or clothed):<br>

50mm f/1.4 for full length. However, the 50mm f/1.8 is sharper and less expensive.<br>

85mm f/1.8 for half length. It is less expensive than the f/1.4 version.<br>

35-70mm f/2.8 auto focus for full length and/or half length. This is a discontinued lens that is only available on the used market.</p>

<br>

.</p>

<p>I know I might get knocked for this suggestion, but I think the AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D Macro is a very good choice for the same reasons; good for portrait or full/half body without needing to reposition yourself. I've found it to be sharp and clean and it is still in production. It also serves very well as a 1:2 macro lens.</p>

I just bought a new camera. My dx lens were basically obsolete with

fx format so I sold old lens' on cxxxslist and I'm starting fresh. I had

18-55, 55-200,and 18-105 dx lens. I have around $1100 budget.

John suggested I get the 50mm 1.8 and the 85 mm 1.8 and other

Jon suggested a used 28-70 mm 3.5. I can get all of theses with my

budget. Or should I get a refurbished 85mm 1.4 as

Anthony suggests ?

<p>Ok I'm thinking 35mm for full body shots and 85mm for both half body and close-ups. 50mm might be kind of tight for full body unless you have a bit of room to step back. For all other uses the 35-80 combo would be more versatile. The 85 1.8 is a fine lens for someone on a budget.</p>

<p>With people I would prefer zooms, as I don't like wasting their time or mine changing lenses. That being said, I like the performance and quality of my primes when shooting people. Until I pony up for a 24-70 or some other expensive equivalent, it's primes for me. 24mm f2.8, 35mm f 2.0, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.4.</p>