Anybody ever use one of these?

peterafle

<p>Was going through some of my old gear, and found my dad's old Asahi Pentax SLR (the camera I cut my teeth on) and a couple of lenses, a 50mm and 100mm, both M42 screw mounts. On a whim, I did a search to see if they could be adapted to mount on my Nikon DSLR bodies. Found <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97559-REG/General_Brand_ABSN_Nikon_AI_Body_to.html#features">THIS </a>and <a href="http://dotlinecorp.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1112&products_id=6600&zenid=c63136aeca2ce554887d30d751bc88c9">THIS</a>.<br>

Does anyone here have any experience with such a setup? Any risk of damage to my cameras with such a mount? I have a D90 and a D50 -- I know this would be strictly manual-mode...<br>

PR</p>

<p>This has come up on the threads here many a time. Basically, you lose infinity focus because the lens registrations are different. With the adapter with the glass, you basically get infinity focus, but then you are also very likely degrading the quality of the image that the Takumar lenses are producing. As it is with Nikon, it has always been: If you want to use Nikon, use an F-mount lens. </p>

<p>I have both of those adapters and use them with a old Canon 135mm f/3.5 in LTM mount with a extra adapter and a Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5.<br>

The Canon is a very nice close focus lens with good color and very nice oof backgrounds. And it kind of tickles me to use a Can on lens on my Nikon.<br>

The Super Tak can be used with out the lensed adapter out to about 20 feet. Using it that way the image quality is very good. Using it with the lensed adapter the image is a little softer wide open but stop down one or two stops and it is acceptable.<br>

For the cost of the adapters I would go ahead and give it a try.<br>

Here is a link to a set on flickr from when I was just starting to play with the Tak<br>

<a href=" _MFB8524

<p>Michael<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/14133178@N04/sets/72157622024329428/"></a></p>

<p>Among others I use simmilar adapters ( not only M42, also M39 etc.) for mounting different lenses on my PB4 bellows, sometimes some old cheap" fifteenth hand obscure" lens works a dream that way...( or not at all, but that's the fun of experimenting..)</p>

<p>Thanks for the perspectives, guys -- very helpful. <br>

Michael -- those orchids are lovely<br>

CPM -- great minds think alike; I was definitely planning to try these lenses with my extension tubes and bellows. <br>

Thanks again,<br>

PR </p>