Best lens for concert photography

bob_king3

<p>I was very fortunate to get a photo pass for an upcoming concert at the Minnesota State Fair where I will be able to take pictures for a few songs from the pit in front of the stage. My two good lenses are a 70-200 and then a wide angle 18-35, and I also have a lower quality Tamron 18-270 that provides more range but at a sacrifice in quality. I am curious for opinions on which lens is the best option. I am leaning towards the 70-200 and then throwing the wide angle in the bag for a few shots of the crowd and the whole stage, but I am wondering if the 70-200 will be too much zoom for the distance between the pit and the stage (and I have never been to this venue so I have no idea how much distance there is.) If any experienced concert photographers can share their advice/experience I would appreciate it!</p>

<p>What sort of performance? How big a stage? What sort of shots are you actually hoping for? If you're looking for a tight, emotion-driven head shot of a singer performing, it's possible that 200mm may even feel short. Trying to get a sweeping shot of a 15-piece swing band? Might take 20mm or so ... you really don't know until you are there in the thick of it. That's what large camera bags are for - bring every lens you've got. Member Jeff Spirer has some good pointers <strong><a href="../learn/club-photography/photographing-bands-musicians/">here</a></strong> on shooting performances in low light - do you know if you'll be shooting during a daylight performance, or at night?</p>

<p>Matt has some good points, if you really don't know, bring everything, and shoot alot!</p>

<p>For me it depends on how close to the stage or performer I am, and the desired look I'm going for. I use my Pentax kit lens 18-55mm for wide shoots if I have time to switch lens, for this reason I also carry a slender P&S that I can keep in my shirt pocket.</p>

<p>Most of the time I use my Tamron 80-210mm. Looks like Ken posted a shot of Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, I just shot them a few days.</p>

<p>~Jack</p>

<p>Usually the assigned pit is up against the stage. As others have pointed out, it depends on how close - which may not be something you can predict, since musicians can move around - and what kind of shots you want. From a close-in pit with musicians at the edge of the stage, you won't be able to get the whole band with a longer lens.</p>

<p>So the answer is that there's no good answer. I take specific lenses if I know the venue, otherwise I take a range. Since you don't seem to know the venue, take long and wide. </p>

<p>Also, Ken's shot wasn't taken from a pit, there are heads in the foreground, so it's not really an indicator of what you will be dealing with. </p>

<p>I spent 9 nights shooting the Jazz Festival here in Rochester, NY this summer and mostly used two lenses - a 70-200mm L series f/4 on the 5DII and a 10-22mm on the 20D. Once in a while, I'd pull out a prime but those two did most of the heavy lifting.</p>

<p>I haven't had time to post the shos here on PN but I do have some in a set on Flickr here:<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjfuss/sets/72157624148413661/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjfuss/sets/72157624148413661/</a></p>

<p>Typically Concerts at county fairs have a close barrier and the "photo pit" is right up against the stage - so close you can reach out and touch the performer. Also, fair stages are typically low, I'm tall at 6'5" so I have to crouch most of the 3 songs unless I am off to one side. I'll shoot with a 35mm prime (crop sensor camera) so effectively about 50mm and get great shots of individuals. After the alloted 3 songs you can usually get away with taking photos from the stands or behind the festival seating (look for the lighting and sound guys). Plan on using your ultra wide in the photo pit (especially if you want photos with more than one member of the band. Most fairs don't have crowded pits, but I haven't been to the Minnesota State fair, so could go either way.</p>