7D and 300TL: very good exposures, but ...

h_s1

<p>I was using my 300TL flash with 7D in M Hi mode of the flash and the 7D in manual mode. Works very well with the basic ISO G. N. method.</p>

<p>There is one thing I am not sure I understand though. With the camera set to 1/60 s, the flash fires at all apertures except at f/14 and smaller. Has somebody else observed this as well? Perhaps I am missing something here?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Don't have a definite answer for you, but it could be several things. Is anything blinking in the viewfinder? I presume you have the camera dial set on Manual (M) and Hi-speed sync set on the flash? Are the camera and flash contacts clean?</p>

What is a 300TL? It's not a current model. Seems I recall a Canon flash released in the 1980s with the T90 and having a similar name. Of course it lacks E-TTL, HSS and the 7D doesn't do TTL. Only leaves manual power.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I checked again, it is working quite well, at all apertures. I am a bit embarrassed. The problem apparently was the batteries in the flash had weakened during the shooting. Now whenever the flash's pilot lamp glows (implies it is fully charged), it fires no matter what aperture I set. Sorry for all the noise.</p>

<p>In short, the 300TL works very well with EOS 7D in the manual modes that I used (7D in manual mode, 300TL in Modet Set mode with the mode M Hi or M Lo). I just used the good old formula for f-number = G. N. of the flash / Distance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm just amazed you were actually talking about that 30 year old flash unit. Most have turned to dust decades ago. Many of the posters here are younger than your flash unit...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Good! If you can use manual flash, there will be a lot of good flash available for a very cheap price. And like you see, it is very simple too.</p>

<p>I've been very happy using my Maxxum AF4000 with my Nikon, Pentax, and Canon DSLR. Ironically, I haven't used it with my Maxxum 7D</p>

<p>Puppy - I still have two 300TLs that work great. They were introduced with the T90 in 1986 to give Canon's first TTL system. I have not tried them with my digital bodies but they worked fine with the older EOS film bodies and I used them on EOS until I got a 550. It lacks the sophistication of my new 580 II but is still a great unit.</p>

<p>HS this link may help</p>

<p>http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/</p>

<p>Philip, thanks for the link. I had visited that several months ago once and read through it. But this time I am reading from the perspective of using 300TL on modern cameras. Quite interesting and informative stuff there.</p>

<p>I have a 300tl in exc condition as well as 3 even older vivitar 283's that I still use. They're kind of in vogue now with the popularity of the wireless flash (eg pocket wizards). Glad mine still work, heck just recently bought a replacement internal battery (less than $10) for a late-80's Quantum Bantam battery...I'm the guy that car dealers hate.</p>