RRS QR system with Arca-Swiss Z1

divya

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I have been reading up on ballheads and quick release systems and am almost decided on buying a Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 sp (Single Pan) Ballhead with Flip-Lock Quick Release (Mfr # 801104). I prefer the Flip-Lock QR over the Screw QR because it provides visual confirmation on the locked / unlocked status. I’m thinking of using this ballhead with RRS (Really Right Stuff) plates. Questions:</p>

<ol>

<li>The width (distance between “A” & “B” in the attached picture) of the Arca-Swiss QR clamp can be adjusted by turning the nut “C” in order to provide a snug fit for the plate. Correct?</li>

<li>Are the RRS plates compatible with Arca-Swiss clamp included in the ballhead?</li>

<li>It is possible to change the clamp included with Arca-Swiss ballhead by removing the hex headed screw marked “D”. Is this fairly straight forward and doesn’t require specialized tools (or sending it in to a service center)?</li>

<li>Can the RRS clamp B2-PRO II be mounted on the Arca-Swiss ballhead after removing the clamp included with the Arca-Swiss ballhead?</li>

</ol>

<p>Thanks / Divya</p><div>00X6Pp-270463684.jpg.b922dbf690b2ca02a4bdfedb6b783d60.jpg</div>

<p>I think "yes" too.</p>

<p>A couple of thoughts, I was considering this ballhead too but I've decided the ergonomics are questionable, at best: (1) To have the drop slot at the front (my normal orientation) means the locking knob is on the right. I use my right hand to hold the camera and need the locking knob on the left. (2) That pivot pan-locking control is (a) too close to the locking knob, so you can't use this ballhead while wearing gloves, and (b) by the look of its design, it might catch if you mount the ballhead on a systematic-type tripod with a wide base.</p>

<p>There's a relief groove cut into the clamp to catch set screws mounted on a plate, but it looks awfully shallow so I wonder if it'll work properly. I much prefer a clamp that has a spring-loaded safety detent pin like the ones made by Markins, Photo Clam and Acratech. Technically this is an excellent ballhead but from a usability perspective I think it's poorly thought out.</p>

<p>I bought the Z1 a little over a year ago and installed the RRS lever release until I bought a Novoflex macro focusing rail. The rail just slid on through. So I replaced the RRS lever with a Kirk clamp with locking knob. Works perfectly, I also find that it feels more secure and less likely to become inadvertantly released. I've heard the Arca lever clamp also has limitations in what it can hold (although less limiting than the RRS since it can be adjusted). I originally planned on using RRS levers on all tripod heads, but have now reconsidered and prefer the knobs. They make moving macro rails easier and have no compatibility issues. They're also lighter, cheaper and simpler.</p>

I would call RRS - it's free. As an example, that's what I did and found out their plates are not compatible with the A-S B1 lever release - the dovetails are different. No problem with the screw clamp as you can exert enough force with the knob.
www.citysnaps.net

<p>I have an original B-1, 12 + years old similar in style to the photo shown (but with swaged on clamp)and it is nice enough and works well enough. If I started over today I might have a look at the line of ball heads with already attached clamps package that RRS is now selling. I think their prices are not out of line with the Arca, and they have some features I like as enumerated above, separate tensioner knob, double drop slots and for some, a little lever. I like the RRS clamps, including the stainless open closed slide position lever ones. They tend to be a bit larger than the standard but not much so. I rarely need the speed and I have no problem with slide off with the plate stops on the RRS plates.<br /> I see no reason not to at least consider buying a package of the RRS ball with your choice of their clamp. You will note a small price advantage going that route vs separate clamp purchase also. <br /> My reason for not being totally sold with Arca ball is that I finall decided i am not much a knob twist system as a lever system. (Goes for tripod legs too,,)<br /> Thus we will see about the BH 40 which I get to try when it comes in mail today. <br /> No slam to the admirable A-S ball head. Small profile in girth. Good design. A pioneer for its day.<br /> The lever clamp made by RRS is very sturdy and reliable and fast and you have got that part right. Also, re the ball head purchase itself, and this may not be appropriate where you are at, RRS in CA is available for service and by phone, whereas, (not up to speed on this,) A-S distributorship in this country has taken a few turns over the years and I don't know where they are distributed and supported. My humble thoughts for what they are worth, you have good taste, good luck. Call RRS of course, why not...</p>

<p>Thanks a lot everyone for your feedback and advise.</p>

<p>I did check up with RRS and they have confirmed : "Yes to all of the questions".</p>

<p>Peter N has raised a point that I had not thought of before - location of the knobs with respect to the slot.</p>

<p>Pictures on Adorama show it to the left of the slot; B&H shows it to the right. DUH !!</p>

<p>I'll be visiting the store before buying the ballhead and legs (Gitzo GT2542L) to verify they meet my needs and I don't run into any usability challenges.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot everyone for your feedback and advise.</p>

<p>I did check up with RRS and they have confirmed : "Yes to all of the questions".</p>

<p>Peter N has raised a point that I had not thought of before - location of the knobs with respect to the slot.</p>

<p>Pictures on <a href="http://www.adorama.com/images/large/AWMBZ1SPF.jpg">Adorama</a> show it to the left of the slot; <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/469923.jpg">B&H</a> shows it to the right. DUH !!</p>

<p>I'll be visiting the store before buying the ballhead and legs (Gitzo GT2542L) to verify they meet my needs and I don't run into any usability challenges.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Pictures on <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.adorama.com/images/large/AWMBZ1SPF.jpg">Adorama</a> show it to the left of the slot; <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/469923.jpg" target="_blank">B&H</a> shows it to the right. DUH !!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You have an eagle eye! Looking at the B&H tripod heads page, A-S make two Z1 models, one with both knobs on the left and one with them on the right; mfr. product numbers are 801101 and 801102. That absolutely takes care of one of my concerns. :-)<br /></p>