Sharp Aquos Yellow(Y) color for RGB LCD television ?

<p>Your great responses exeeded my expectation. A lot of good information provided, and I learned a lot. </p>

<p>Thank you for participating, and providing analysis, opinions and links.</p>

<p>I guess if HD Video cameras had 4 CCD, including one for Yellow, then displaying such a signal would have more original Yellow information.</p>

<p>I conducted simple TV customer review by visiting stores selling HD TVs , like Sears, Best Buy, Wallmart, and asked simple question:<br>

What is the best picture quality TV ? - and the answer was Sharp 4 color TV.</p>

<p>About a year ago answer to the same question was: Samsung, Sony, possibly others.<br>

I guess this does not mean much since the answers were also tinted by the TV supplies, and desire to sell what they had in store.</p>

<p>"I guess if HD Video cameras had 4 CCD, including one for Yellow, then displaying such a signal would have more original Yellow information."</p>

<p>No, that's not the problem. The input device (camera) records a heck of a range of colors using a RGB sensor. The problem is that when these colors are modified for display many of them are thrown away. This happens whenever you convert a raw digital camera file from a wide working space like ProPhoto to a narrow one like sRGB for printing or display on the web. The original file itself will look different (have a greater range of colors) when displayed on a wide-gamut display.</p>

<p>When you went to the stores did you look at the different sets yourself? Which did you think looked the best? I don't trust salesmen, myself.</p>

<p>While most stores show a regular HD TV program on other brand TVs, on Sharp 4 color, they mostly show the Sharp demonstration video, that really looks much better than other TV content. Perhaps Sharp TVs were properly color and brightness tuned, while nobody bothered to adjust other brand TVs.<br />But this is not a good comparison, especially when a demo video could be crafted to highest recording standards, subject and purpose.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I conducted simple TV customer review by visiting stores selling HD TVs , like Sears, Best Buy, Wallmart, and asked simple question:<br />What is the best picture quality TV ? - and the answer was Sharp 4 color TV.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Salespeople at these stores are so far beyond useless I avoid them at all costs. Just get one talking about how great a $120 HDMI cable is and you'll see what I mean. They know less than you do about displays and will only confuse you with marketing propaganda.</p>

<p>And don't trust what you see in the store. They use demo reels that are not realistic representations of what you see on your TV at home. Like, ever notice how every shot on a demo reel in a Best Buy has something blue and shiny in it? The TV "demo" color profiles push blue, because it's pleasing to the eye, and the demo reels use that. They've screwed up the whole situation so much that it's almost impossible to identify the actual good TVs, so use expert reviews from the net.</p>

<p>I think that what described in the article posted by Andrew could be true for official pre-recorded video materials (DVD, Blu-ray), because they are already "compressed" into a smaller color space. Thus this compressing process discard a lot of important color informations from the original source! <br>

But if you connect your own color source (through HDMI) and this color source contains a wide gamut signal (a computer graphics card for example) the advantage of a wider gamut display device is true.<br>

For instance, companies like EIZO sell wide gamut computer monitors for photographic applications that are able to correctly represents a 16 bit source color image with the "Adobe RGB" profile. All other non wide gamut consumer monitors are almost able to fully represents an 8 bit source image with the smaller "sRGB" profile.</p>