Visibility of No Words Category

peter_daalder

<p>Tom,</p>

<p>PN doesn't have thread tagging and it would be a big job to add it. I'm not saying we won't ever have it, but it's not on the top of my list considering the other projects we have in front of us. So categories are all we have at this point and will be all we have for the near future.</p>

<p>Posting a notice in capital letters at the top of the NW forum front page with a list of "do not" do this and "do not" do that is a great way to have less people want to participle in the forum, or in some cases such as myself to have some people simply stop participating altogether.... and for what? to enforce an admittedly superfluous rule purely for the sake of doing so. </p><p>As Tom pointed out, there is seldom any actual problem with people being utterly clueless, not that you can legislate against that anyway and I've never seen anything malicious or any sort of squabbles break out because some one put a dog in a people category. The NW forum is, or at least it was, a congenial bunch of people hunting about their hard drives for something to contribute to a thread in the spirit of participation and fun. If an occasional mis-posting upsets the moderator, I would be surprised if it upsets anyone else.</p>

<p>Folks, photo.net has moderation and categorization. Always has and always will. That's part of what set us apart from places like USENET in the very beginning. In fact, photo.net was designed and started SPECIFICALLY to get away from the un-moderated mess that USENET was.</p>

<p>Now, that having been said, there are always going to be people who don't agree with either the fact that these things exist or the way that they are applied. On the flip side, there are always going to be people who very much care about having those things in place and find it crucial. That's a fact. I answer tens of thousands of emails and forum posts a year from photo.net members. One of the least enjoyable aspects of my job is that I get to decide which direction to go on issues like this. It's not a lot of fun knowing that someone will always call you a dumbass no matter what you do. But that's just the way it goes when you have a site like photo.net. Too many people from too many places using the site in too many ways to ever have consensus.</p>

<p>In any case, the points have been made on this thread and I'll figure out whatever needs to be done, if anything. Some people will like it, some people won't, all in a days work I suppose.</p>