Color calibration for Dummies

<p>I set out on a journey to do some research on the best way to calibrate my HP 2009f LCD monitor. I was looking at the Spyder express which at first glance seemed like a good start. Then I hear that you cannot set the color temperature and gamma (not that I have in depth understanding of gamma) and that might render it pointless for LCD monitors.<br>

Another area of question for me was- what good does it do if my monitor is displaying color correctly but the printer (MPIX for example) uses different settings?<br>

Is there any site that can sort of walk a beginner through the process without using too much technical language?</p>

<p>Setting the gamma isn’t really necessary but setting the white point sure is. </p>

<p>The display calibration and profile is always agnostic and not directly linked to any output device. That’s controlled with output profiles. </p>

<p>This might help:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.takegreatpictures.com/HOME/Columns/Digital_Photography/Details/Color_Management_and_Display.fci">Color Management and your display</a><br /><br /></p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>Get an old CRT, LCD is a long way off unless you want to spend 2k plus</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, but this is not sound advice. There are abundant quality LCDs with better than-tn panels, internal LUTs and calibration pucks for under $2k, starting at $700 for something like the NEC P221W SV, and more than a few models with very strong reputations for 1,200 to 1,500. Get an old crt is the last thing you want to do.</p>

<p>The OP didn't ask advice about what display he should get, he asked how to learn about calibrating the one he has. How about giving relevant advice once in a while?</p>

<p>I use a Pantone Eye-One Display 2 calibrator and associated software for calibrating my Sony LCD and get excellent results. Some monitors don't calibrate well, but haven't heard anything bad about that particular model. Where did you hear that you cannot set the gamma or color temp?</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>When I looked for a CRT 3-4 years ago I wasn't able to find a new one and the usage time on a used one is unknowable. I settled (at that time) on a Lacie 319 as my affordable choice. Several years ago I bought one of the Sharp 19" (I think that is the size) for my wife. At the time it was an outstanding monitor and IMHO it is still an equal to but a smaller size than my NEC P221.</p>

<p><em>what good does it do if my monitor is displaying color correctly but the printer (MPIX for example) uses different settings?</em><br />Calibration of the monitor and printing are separate and independent operations. Images edited on a calibrated monitor will look reasonably the same on any other calibrated monitor. The images will conform to accepted standards of color, as defined by their color space.</p>

<p>A printing lab like MPIX has the reponsibility to maintain a color-managed monitor and calibrated (profiled) printer, so that an image will print reasonably similar to its appearance on that monitor. Even a local minilab should undergo calibration according to procedures defined by the manufacturer of their printer. If they print an image you submit <strong>without making further adjustments</strong>, it should look close to the way it looks to you on your monitor (even if they do not calibrate theirs). They must, however, recognize the embedded color space. If not, then their color will still be reasonably close if you use sRGB. In any case, you need to tell them to print without adjustments, and they will usually comply.</p>

<p>If you don't want additional cropping, size the picture to fit on their paper at an exact size but undersized but set the canvas area to the exact paper size. Have them print it without margins. That way there will be margins (yours), but the image itself will be sized correctly and uncropped.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Andrew, maybe it's me, but I couldn't get your link to work. <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.takegreatpictures.com/digital-photography/9984" target="_blank">Is this where you were going?</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Try: http://www.takegreatpictures.com/digital-photography/9984</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)