Usable pictures from a photo shoot?

rlausch

<p>I was just wondering how many pictures you deem usable from a standard photo shoot? I did a recent shoot with a friend and I got about 350-400 pictures form her, and are finding many I do not like, or just didn't turn out the way I wanted, has this happened to you? How many do you usually have in the end?</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

Sincerely,<br>

Robert</p>

<p>Much of what you're asking is a subjective opinion that the photographer decides on. <br>

When I was doing business portraits I was please if I got one image, on a 15 exposure roll, that both the subject and I was happy with.<br>

With weddings (on film) there was a much higher ratio of "useable" shots. I might edit out 15-25% of the overall shots.<br>

Ruth Bernhard used to claim that there was only a single image to be taken each time she did a shoot. She'd arrange her model and compose that single image that she was after.</p>

<p>ONE!</p>

<p>You need 1 good photo at the end of a shoot. All the rest are experiments to see if they look better than "the one". Don't hesitate to delete 3/4 of them. You don't carry around 50 photos of your child in your wallet. You carry 1 (one)! 2 is overkill. 3 is just crazy.</p>

<p>If you took 400 and none of them make you say WOW, evaluate them, figure out why you don't like them and take some more.</p>

<p>I totally forget who said this but... If you have 12 good photos at the end of a year of taking photos, you've had a good year!</p>

<p>I think that often photographers with less experience tend to not weed out enough of the OK shots. I am not greatly experienced but I know that I did a terrible job of that early on and still have to really make myself be more critical of what I intend to deliver.</p>

<p>If I took 100 shots, it would be common to deliver 30 to 40. I realized that shots that were simply OK and technically sound did not do me or the client any justice. The shot must some real value to it. That does not mean the client likes every shot I give them (far from it), but they will be solid shots I can be proud to deliver.</p>

<p>Some people take on the attitude that as long as the shot is "OK" then they should let it go to the customer and let them decide if its worth useing or keeping. </p>

<p>Like Ray, I have gotten rid as many as 3/4 of the shots. Not they were all bad, but they just did not add value to the complete collection.</p>

<p>I know that for me, early on, I was afraid the client would be mad if I did not deliver a bunch of images. However that is not the case at all. I did have two clients ask for the other shots because they just wanted to see them. </p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>I shoot hundreds of shots, even with casual candid snaps of family and friends. It doesn't cost anything but a little time with digital. With film (I mostly use b&w) I'm more conservative and usually take only a roll or two per session.</p>

<p>The other day I took some snaps of a friend's new baby and their toddler boy. Took 165 photos in an hour's time. About 10% were badly exposed (a bright picture window in our living room throws off my exposures occasionally, or causes a bit too much veiling flare and ghosting flare). Another 10% were awful expressions, not even bad enough to be funny, so I'll delete those. Another 10% were out of focus because I was shooting wide open. I'll probably edit it down to the best dozen or so and give her the CD.</p>

<p>I fully agree that the final number is truly subjective (even though Kevin's numbers do come relatively close to my own - even if I do tend to be more critical of my photos), HOWEVER you need to bear one thing in mind: your opinion on how "good" an image is may not coincide with the customer's and therefore you cannot always edit using your views. Sometimes you need to release some images which are technically perfect but which YOU may not like simply because the customer may.</p>

<p>Beauty is and always has been in the eyes of the beholder...</p>

<p>What kind of photo shoot? For a simple portrait, back in medium format days you could shoot a single 12-exposure roll and if you changed posing and setup on each shot and nobody blinked, have 12 saleable shots. I can't conceive of 350-400 shots from a portrait sitting but obviously a fashion shoot would be different. Keep in mind that 350-400 frames of film/digital files is not the same as 350-400 pictures. The first thing you do is eliminate everything out of focus, wrong exposure, eyes closed, bad expressions, etc. Then you weed it down to the best frame of each setup or composition. 400 shots could easily be trimmed down to 40 actual pictures by the time you're done. If you can get 40 solid pictures with 40 shots, that's ideal. Otherwise you shoot as many as it takes to get what you need.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sort of depends on one's definition of a "Standard Photo Shoot</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well that and how the shoot actually goes. It's very different working with a professional model and someone who's never really had to pose before, giving totally different yields. Animals are even tougher.</p>

<p>The idea that "1" is all you need comes from not doing much commercial work. An art director will often not settle for one. I shoot a magazine cover regularly and they require at least thirty, then they work with the layout and the inside article. They typically use a half dozen inside. How would "1" usable shot make them happy?</p>

<p>When I do family beach portraits I usually shoot anywhere from 100-300 pix depending on the family size, if there are toddlers and other factors.Plus, for the full family shot I may take 5-10 shots of the same pose because with the group shot many times someone will be have eyes closed or a non-flattering pose. I know other people that do this and just move the eyes from one photo to another. I'm not that good with that technique. After the shoot I go through the images and take out the real bad ones. I will then upload the rest including some that may be a little soft or where someone just looks plain goofy. I tell the family that I am uploading them just for fun. I just did some pix that the mom holding daughter shot was a bit soft in a couple of them and the mom liked those best. I did not shoot it that way on purpose:) Also there may be some images that I just can't tweak the colors correctly, so I will make a note by the image that this one is only available in B/W or sepia. I know my methods are not the best but my customers always seem happy. I'm always looking to improve.You know you did good when the two year old is completely out of control ( I always warn families that I am not responsible when it happens) and you manage to get a couple of good shots of the child and the family pays you more then agreed price. This has happened a few times. I always say No No but they insist. I finally give in and accept the danger pay....hahaha<br>

Curious if any of you charge extra for a B/W or Sepia?</p>

<p>I did a wedding recently (and others) and my final cut was 25%.. The other 75% were rejected due to subject movement, eyes closed, just wasn't as good as I thought that composition would be etc. <br>

That is why I always shoot first and ask questions later. A number of great shots are quick ones. Some rejects are the well thought out ones.<br>

I always expect about 20-30% keepers. Any more than that is a bonus. Digital is great for that reject factor. And really nothing to be concerned about. Ya win some ya lose some.</p>