Leica Digilux 3 - Good camera? Worth $1200?

dreamspy1

<p>Someone is offering me a Leica Digilux 3 with the 14-50mm kitlens for $1200 (used). </p>

<p>What do people think about this camera? Is the price ok?</p>

<p>I see those cameras going for more on the internet, but for some reason there seems to be not that much of them going around. Was it maybe not that popular?</p>

<p>The fact that it feels like a film camera and not like some digital tech-toy is rather appealing to me. But I'm wondering about the usability of it. And also I'm wondering if there is allot of lenses available for this camera? I've been considering to get a m4/3 camera because there are 100's of interesting lenses around that fit for it. But what is putting me off is the plastic feel of most of those cameras, like the GF1 and PEN cameras.</p>

<p>Thanks for any input.<br>

Frímann</p>

<p>It's a nice camera, but it's a 4 year old four-thirds DSLR that's mostly a Panasonic. Unless you really like that lens, for the money I'd go for a new model micro four-thirds from Panasonic or Olympus. With an adapter, a micro 4/3 camera can use a 4/3 lens but a 4/3 camera can't use a micro 4/3 lens so the newer cameras have some more versatility, and no mirror.</p>

<p>Since it's mostly a Panasonic except for badging and some minor internal tweaks, you might first check out Panasonic's current, wildly popular GF1. For much less money you could be in a new class of 4/3 equipment and image processing.</p>

<p>IMHO go for a new M4/3 camera - much wider choice of lenses and accessories, warranty, newer technology. Most Leica users would say if you want a real Leica skip the P&S knock offs (all the Digilux series) and get a modern pro body which can use the Leica R lenses (Canon is the most popular but Sigma can be retrofitted with an R lens mount - or if you can find one for less that $4000 the DMR with an R8 or R9), or on the RF side an M9 or M8 or go retro film in either the R or M lines. However, I've seen on other fora some outstanding work with the Digilux cameras....most of those early adopters have moved on and up however.</p>

<p>i have a digilux 3. i like it, and it can take excellent pictures (better than the digilux2 which i also had (sensor died)). i got a adapter from Leica that allows me to use my R lenses on the digilux with a 2x(?) mag factor, thats been fun, All that said, my wife has a 10+ megapixel panasonic p&s camera the size of a credit card, that takes fabulous pictures....kinda depressing. hard to imagine the used D3 id worth 1200. you can get alot of camera these days for that amount of money. i suspect my next purchase in a canon slr, with a adapter for my R lenses...</p>

<p>That 14-50mm kit lens is great, but still it is an early 4/3 camera, you are better of with the latest generation m4/3 series. If you like the form factor and if you don't mind sensor size, you might want to consider Digilux 2. It is a beautifully crafted tool with wonderful results. I sold one with regrets later.</p>

<p>K.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Frimann,</p>

<p>If you like manual controls like I do, (I have both ) I wholeheartedly can recommend both the the Digilux 2 and Digilux 3 to you. However, for IQ alone the Digilux 3 has the edge, specially at high ISO shots (the D2 pictures are noisy even at ISO 200). $1200 seems to be a fair price, even though it's a 4-year old camera. Roughly 50% of that price is for the superb kit lens.</p>

<p>For sure Olympus more modern 4/3 cameras have better IQ (optimized jpeg engine) and better High ISO performance and more bells and whistles. So you need to think about what you really want out of you photographic experience. Only you can make an accurate assessment for that. Because I've been through this assessment recently, I will share my line of thought and why I decided to keep the Digilux 3 and not go with a modern DLSR:</p>

<p>* I like the the vintage way of controlling a camera, with mechanic dedicated dials to control shutter speed and an aperture ring on the lens. On top of that, I like having a dedicated ISO button.<br>

* Analog simplicity: If I change the aperture ring to any position other than A (automatic) leaving the shutter speed in A mode, the camera is set to aperture priority mode. Leaving the aperture ring in A mode and changing the shutter speed dial to any value other than A, the camera set to shutter priority mode. If both dials are off the A position, manual exposure mode is set. This is so simple and yet, so beautiful and powerful.<br>

* Built-in bounce flash: I've never seen a DSLR other that the D3 (L1) with such an amazing feature. It is really useful. Before buying this camera, I avoided using any camera's built in flash, but the D3 made this possible providing me with awesome results.<br>

* Real viewfinder: I got used to use EVFs but I still prefer optical viewfinders, specially in low light situations. Keep in mid though, D3's viewfinder is small and dimmer than what is provided by canon DSLRs<br>

* DSLR speed and AF<br>

* Usable performance up to ISO 1600. I was able to produce great 11x14"quality prints up to ISO 800 and very good prints 8x10 at ISO 1600.</p>

<p>I could not find any other camera in the market that could meet the above criteria, that's why I have a Digilux 3 and a Lumix L1 as a backup. <br>

Now, should you buy the Digilux 3 or the Lumix L1? Here is my take on it:<br>

- Because you are buying an used camera, Leica's unsurpassed 3-year warranty, won't mean anything to you. So, the Lumix wins here because it's way cheaper.<br>

- IQ-wise, if you shoot RAW (and you should to get the most of this camera), it doesn't make a difference buying the Digilux 3 or the Lumix L1 body. If you shoot Jpeg, the Lumix has the edge, specially regarding WB accuracy. So the Lumix L1 wins again.<br>

- Camera-body: I prefer the Digilux 3 body looks over the Lumix's . It has that classic look that matches the camera's analog controls.</p>

<p>Sorry for the long post, but I believe this underrated camera is a hidden gem!</p>

<p><br /></p><div>00X5rB-269923584.thumb.jpg.03600a63f0e5af979fbd0952baf27843.jpg</div>