Focusing Screen Replacement for Minolta XG-M

<p>Hi All,<br /><br />I have an old minolta xg-m and I want to replace the focusing screen, but I can't find any information about it.<br /><br />I need to know what type it is, and where to buy. The camera's still in excellent condition, except the focusing screen has some annoying scratches and stains.<br /><br />thanks in advance. toha<br /><br /></p>

<p>IMHO unless you are qualified in removing the screen from a donor non working camera and substituting the good screen for the bad one in your camera with the following caution: the screen has to be positioned exactly or your focussing will be off. If you send it out for a technician to replace it, your talking the cost of a donor camera and the tech's time and labor cost. I'd avoid replacing the screen as it in no way affects the image making.</p>

<p>Maybe you can get a parts camera? XG-M's aren't exactly expensive. Mine (my current main camera) I got for $1+shipping, and it was in pristine condition. I'm sure you can find some in good shape for pennies on the dollar. As far as interchangeable screens, that I don't know. I'd love to know, though, if the screens from the X-700/X-500 could be used. Kinda interested in trying out that focusing screen for the faster lenses...</p>

<p>You could probably get a working XG-M in E+ or better condition for less than you'd spend on labor to get your XG-M repaired. The X-700 and X-500 (X-570 in USA) used the Acumatte screen. When the XG-M was in production the XD series used Acumatte, but I don't know about the XG-M. If screen fits but is not an exact replacement, focusing and possibly metering may be off.</p>

<p>The focus screens for the X-700 and X-570 series do not interchange with the XG-M, at least without some modification. The is a slight but noticeable difference in the size and shape of the two. The screen on the XG-M can be replaced, but it is much more tricky to do on the XG-M than on the X-700 type. <br>

I agree with the suggestion to get a donor camera for a new screen. I have found the best tool for replacing the screens in Minoltas is a very fine, flat bladed set of tweezers.<br>

Again, if you have never replaced the screen before, it can be very tricky. Best to practice removing and installing a number of times with a junk screen before you move on to the good screen.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>I found some xg-m and x-570 on ebay, it's inexpensive, but the shipping costs more than the camera itself. I live in Indonesia. thanks God I just met a local repairman who has some donor camera. he charged only $10 for the acute matte screen and the overhaul.<br>

thanks for your help :)</p>