Recommendations to compliment Canon 5D

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

Can someone recommend a good set of AF lenses (Canon or third party) to buy to go with the 5D camera. A decent WA and fast portrait lens are needed. My friend is asking this question and she has €1000 to spend on gear.<br>

The only obvious lens that comes into mind is: Canon EOS 24-105mm f4 USM L IS<br>

Cheers.</p>

<p>if you want a fast portrait lens, I think the 24-70mm f/2.8L would be a better choice for a zoom. The 85mm f/1.8 or 1.2 are also very highly regarded portrait lenses. For outdoors, the 70-200mm f/2.8 is great. The 24-70mm is a great wide angle, but the 17-40mm f/4L is a super wide angle that is very fun to use, creates dramatic images, and is very affordable for L glass. If you like primes, the 100mm f/2.8 macro and 135mm f/2 are great portrait lenses and the 100mm can work double duty as a macro as well.</p>

<h3 ><em>com·ple·ment</em>/ˈkämpləmənt/</h3>

Noun: A thing that completes or brings to perfection.

<p>Verb: Add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect.</p>

<h3 ><em>com·pli·ment</em>/ˈkämpləmənt/</h3>

Noun: A polite expression of praise or admiration.

<p>Verb: Politely congratulate or praise (someone) for something.</p>

<p>For around a thousand pounds you could get the very fine 17-40mm Canon wide zoom, the 28-75mm 2.8 Tamron mid range zoom and either the 85mm 1.8 or 100mm 2.0 Canon lenses for portraits. You would be well equipped to handle a large percentage of photographic situations. Good luck.</p>

<p>That's pretty vague, unfortunately, on both ends. WA could be anything in the (roughly) 24-35 range, or potentially much wider if she wants to include ultrawide territory. As for portraiture, 85-135 is the main part of the classic portraiture range, depending on working distance (e.g. if shooting in a cramped space, you'd typically need something on the shorter end of that range) and how tight or loose the framing is, but portraiture can also be done with lenses outside that range in some cases.</p>

<p>The 24-105 covers most of the WA (assuming we're not talking ultrawide) and portraiture range in one very good lens, but it has some drawbacks. On the wide end, the distortion might be an issue if she's shooting architecture or anything else that has to keep straight lines straight, although that can generally be fixed in software. On the portrait end, it likely isn't as fast as she might like; a "fast" lens for portraiture might be an f/2.8 zoom or a faster prime.</p>

<p>I don't know what lens prices are like in the UK, so I'm going to make a potentially incorrect assumption that the exchange rate between here (Canada) and there applies to lenses. If that's the case, she's probably not going to be getting a zoom for portraiture; an f/2.8 zoom in that range (i.e. a 70-200 or similar) probably wouldn't leave room in the budget for a wide-angle lens, unless she's buying used (which is another possibility that would open up the options a bit). The 85/1.8 or 100/2 are two possible options for a fast portrait lens that will leave enough money for a wide-angle lens. The 17-40/4L is a possibility for the wide zoom.</p>

<p>But I'm kinda shooting in the dark here because I don't really know what she's looking for. Can you get more info on what she plans on shooting with the WA and some indication of what sort of portraiture she'll be doing?</p>

<p>Another vote for the 17-40/4 + 85/1.8 combination, although I think that leaves you a bit lacking in the ~50mm region. You could add a 50/1.8, which is not a lens I'm very fond of but would be a useful addition.</p>

<p>My 2p<br>

P</p>

I have a 5D. The following are my Canon lenses:

17-40 f4L. Lots of WA barrel distortion correctable in DPP. Wide angle impressinve on 5D.

24-105 F4 IS. WA barrel distortion correctable in DPP. Works well in regular use. Had 28-70 2.8L great lens but heavy. I don't like the lens change point at 70mm. Much better at 105mm. Yes I have more than one body

70-200 2.8L no IS. 12 years old. Like my right arm. Looks and works like new after long, hard and heavy use. I will use it until it breaks or passes to my heirs(I suspect that will be the case).

100-400 4.5-5.6L IS. Great for good light wildlife, sports etc.

That covers the waterfront for me. I gave up on third party lenses because of AF and durability issues. I also get Canon lens corrections in Lightroom 3. I also have an old 50mm 1.8 that makes very good images. It is flimsy but hasn't broken in over 12 years of rough use. AF is noisy(so what).

<blockquote>

<p>I love my 24-105 on the 5D but distortion can be significant.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Also, the light fall-off at the wide end at F4 is a little disconcerting. Of course both can be fixed in DPP with a couple of clicks so no biggie.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Like Puppy said; the falloff and distortion from the 24-105 are easily fixed. However, the bokeh is not great wide open. Still, the 24-105 is my top choice for an all purpose lens on the 5D. For portraiture, I use both the 85mm f/1.8 (inexpensive and light) and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (much more cost and weight, but more flexible). The 17-40mm f/4L is my choice for a great balance of performance and cost on the wide end.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I currently only use primes on my 5d, but I agree with the 17-40 and 85 1.8 combo. I doubt there's a stronger value for the money you want to spend. My two cents. Good luck! As a little aside, if you're using the WA for more street/ reportage type work, I gotta admit my 'ugly duckling' 24mm 2.8 is damn impressive for such a cheapo feeling/ costing lens. And it's tiny, which makes the whole unintrusive thing work a little better.</p>