Was Kodak Gold 100 Discontinued?

<p>I noticed no stores have this film anymore that used to carry it and its not on Kodaks website anymore. Was this film officially discontinued? I don't see any announcement on it. This was one of my favorite films, though Portra 160 VC and Ektar 100 can do better.</p>

<p>I don't think Kodak consumer films get official discontinuance notices. Looks like it may have died at the same time as the "Ultra" generation of the 400 and 800 speed films came out.<br>

Don't forget the High Definition 400, with a proper printing channel it's nice, and very fine grain. PGI is 39, compared to Gold 100's 42. High Definition is a "sleeper" film that Kodak simply couldn't figure out how to market to consumers. (Also, it does need it's own printer channel, and until Fuji had one for the Frontiers, it printed pretty strangely.)<br>

Slowest consumer film appears to be Gold 200 at this point. PGI of that is 44.<br>

[sarcasm.] Also, why would anyone want to buy 100 film, when they can buy 800 film? Bigger numbers must be better! Just like more megapixels is always better, and bigger screens, and bigger Hummer's. (Well, that last one seems to have gone sour...)</p>

<p>Um, there was a discontinuance notice for the UC films. Kodak recommended the Portra VC as substitute - this was before Ektar was released.</p>

<p>If you live in the US, check out Target. They have 3 roll, 24 exp Kodak Gold 200 boxes for $7.99 - at least in my area. Or it might be less. They also sell the UltraMax in the same 3 roll, 24 exp boxes.</p>

<p>My grocery store chain (Publix) carries single boxes of it: $5.49 for a 24 exp roll. Their film offerings are getting smaller and smaller every month, though.</p>

<p>That's true, the discontinuance of Ultra Color was announced. That film was always ambiguous, was it a "consumer" film, or a "professional" film?<br>

The consumer market for film is getting price driven, instead of quality driven. Kodak can't find a way to maket any consumer film better that the "Golds". High Definition is floundering, Ultra Color got the axe.<br>

Good thing is that Kodak is doing interesting things in the "professional" films, like Ektar 100, TMY-2, Portra 400NC-3, etc. Perhaps they finally figured out that quality and innovation is what sells in that market, rather than packaging.</p>

<p>Ultracolor was pro film. I think before it was under the portra family then shifted to itself right?<br>

I see UC new cousin as Ektar (again pro film).</p>

<p>I cannot get Gold 100 in my country. I have 2 rolls I got from B&H still in freezer should finish by year end. Now B&H cannot get it, this was near a year ago. Adorama at the time could but jacked up near a fold.</p>

<p>IMO, I think consumer print will be limited to 400 only. Consumer slide all gone, near a year ago I did note that B&H had Sensia 400 more $$ than Provia 400. Pro print will be Kodak, I think 800 is numbered but should get 400. Not sure abotu Fuji, they are everywhere. Pro slide, I think Kodak has done all they can. Fuji too, Fuji might be only one with a 400 flavour.</p>

<p>Consumer 800 will hang on because that's what goes in a lot of the single use cameras.<br>

The fact that there isn't an Ultra version of 200 means that Kodak sees that there's no return on investment in upgrading it.<br>

Fuji has already bailed on professional C-41.<br>

I wouldn't be surprised if Kodak's Elite Chrome is all "remaining supplies". Only the folks who buy through the professional channel still shoot slide film, so the E-series is what will be left.<br>

It will be interesting to see who "blinks first", and bails on E-6 films -- Kodak or Fuji. I'd guess Kodak, since they have to be more responsive to their stockholders than a Japanese company.</p>

<p> I would be really sad to see Elitechrome go. I shoot it on a regular basis. But the world will continue on without it. I have a lot of fun shooting Tmax and I could just make it a full time hobby.</p>

<p>I did know about Fuji pro print film but hard to actually believe it for real. </p>

<p>Yes, 800 for disposable cameras. I guess they could keep 400 and 800 or perhaps just keep 800 or 400 and consolidate to either side. </p>

<p>UC was never made in 200 right? When I bought my first UC to try out they had a 100 and 400 right? I shot the 100, great stuff, and still have the 400 in my freezer :)</p>

<p> I went to Fujichrome USA and they list only Fuji Pro 400H. No others professional print films (c41). I am sure that Fuji has the other pro films available in other country's where it's being used.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Gold-Speed-Exposure-35mm/dp/B000051173">Amazon is announcing that it's discontinued</a>.</p>

<h2>Product Details</h2>

<ul>

<li id="SalesRank">

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr valign="top">

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</li>

<li><strong>Discontinued by manufacturer:</strong> Yes</li>

</ul>

<p>And looking on <a href="http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/list/Consumer_Film/35mm_Print_Film/categoryID.40676800">Kodak's site</a>, the only thing listed for consumer film is ULTRA MAX 400</p>

<p>It's dead Jim.</p>

<ul>

</ul>

<p>A quick check on Amazon shows the 24 exposure rolls are still in stock.<br>

Kinda pricey at $7 something for Gold 100, but then again, I noticed the other day that Walgreens is now charging me $12 something for a roll of 36 exposure film with single prints.</p>

<p>Kodak seems to be assuming that they need not waste shareholder money announcing the discontinuation of films because nobody will notice anyway. I still do not know for certain whether Kodak has officially discontinued the last 110-format film. It quietly disappeared from their Web site some time ago, and nobody seems to stock it. But a request to Kodak's "customer service" returned a canned statement about "Max Versatility 400" still being available. Maybe they haven't even bothered to keep their outsourced "customer service" contractor informed.</p>

<p>I never did see the point of the 100 and 200 Gold films when there are 400-speed films with finer grain. When I regularly shot film, I would always use ISO 400 color negative film because it provided the optimum balance of image quality with convenience. I miss Supra and 400UC, but I've also tried HD400. It's nearly as good, and it's still available. At least until Kodak makes it quietly disappear.</p>

<p>I have had good luck with HD 400 on my Coolscan LS-2000 scanner. I have noticed that the place you get it developed is important. The lab not only effects the colors, but the sharpness as well.</p>

<p>Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of my portfolio is HD 400. </p>

<p>I used to shoot with Kodak Royal Gold (there might have been another word in the title), and got great results. It was discontinued eight or nine years ago. My local film store was shocked: it was their most popular type. <br>

BTW, my local Rite-Aid and Walgreens pharmacies no longer process or scan film. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Surprising.<br /> Here in India, where we have far far less options in film and any film related stuff, Gold 100 is still available fresh. I actually picked up a roll of UltraMax400 last week to run through a second hand FM2N I had just picked up, to test functioning. Its the only store which has film processing facilities in my suburb here in Mumbai (compared to 10-15 stores in a 1/2 km radius a few years back). But I was shocked to see FRESH stock of both 100 Gold and UltraMax400.<br /> Surprising, you guys in the US are having difficulty sourcing it, considering it clearly says on the pack : "Manufactured in the U.S.A.". Also its just around $3 equivalent for a 36 exp roll, compared to the $5 24 exp roll mentioned above.<br /> p.s.<br /> While on the topic, for whoever is interested,<br /> Gold100 and Ultramax400 is the only thing they stock now. Slide film is next to impossible to source, and there are literally 1 or 2 people who undertake slide development in Mumbai these days.<br /> I made a trip into town to one of the reputed well known labs. They stock one brand of slide film. I forgot which one. It was a Fuji ISO160 emulsion. Apart from that they have FujiPress 800 and 1600. Reala is available intermittently. And he said he can continue to offer developing services only as long as chemicals continue to remain available, which was getting more and more difficult to source by the day.<br>

Also, considering the difficulty of finding labs to process film is only going to get harder here in Mumbai, I thought I'll try and find someone who can teach me film development. At least, in that case I can import the required chemicals and equipment through friends who go abroad regularly. After spending considerable time I managed to locate a gentlemean, who sadly emailed me back saying, the "last batch" started first week of June and they were not considering any new batches due to lack of enrollments.<br>

Guess its a really bad time for me to get back into exploring film.</p>