<p>I have a nice Nikon ED4000 slide scanner. Last time I hooked it up to my Sony computer it made all the appropriate noises, but - nothing! I think a light burned out. Before I think about the expense of having it repaired, and the question of if it will even work on a Mac (I read something about no available drivers), I'm looking at these new all purpose scanners like the Canon 8800F. Is it comparable to the Nikon dedicated scanner? I have 14 binders full of mostly Velvia slides and some of them ain't half bad.</p>

<p>I downloaded NikonScan 4.0.2 from the Apple software site and got a folder full of gibberish. It's a 2004 version appropriate for my version of Leopard (10.5.8). These little adventures never seem to work out for me.</p>

<p>Just get VueScan at (<a href="http://www.hamrick.com/">link</a>). If you use it, it's worth getting the "professional license" since "Upgrades are always free if you purchase the Professional Edition." This baby is upgraded about every week, it sometimes seems. More scanners, more everything. It's one of the best programs I have for what it does.</p>

<p>BTW, it sounds like in your Nikon download you chose the wrong kind of save -- you likely got the raw transmission code instead of the program.</p>

<p>Thanks JDM, Vuescan downloads and works easily, except for the hundreds of little dollar sign watermarks in the free trial version. If I can't get the Nikon version to download I will go with this one. I guess the scanner wasn't broken after all. I think it is the fate of all aging photographers to eventually wind up at home scanning all their old slides. Just kidding, I'm not there yet but I've seen it happen to others.</p>

<p>I too am one of those scanning their slide film and negs and long may it continue ... I've got the scanner, no point not shooting film when I'm still as happy as a clam in brine with this medium. Long live the Luddites ...</p>

<p>Best ...</p>

<p>fate of all aging photographers to eventually wind up at home scanning all their old slides.</p>

<p>Scanning huge collections of slides is a popular subject here. My own advice is always not to bother. Youy will spend many hours of your life creating files which will be corrupt or lost long before the actual slide ceases to be useful.</p>

<p>Much better to spend your time scanning the slides as and when you need them as you can spend more time making first class scans of a few slides at a time rtaher than trying to do the whole lot.</p>

<p>And pray tell, what are you going to do with all those "useful slides"? Throw a slide show for the neighbors on the block?</p>

<p>It really depends on whether you actually use your old slides and work with and on them. Scanning and subsequent post processing has solved many a mystery about "why did I take that picture in the first place", for one example.</p>

<p>We do agree on one thing, you need to do "first-class" scans the first time, not mess around with so-so scans. If you don't do it right the first time, you'll end up almost endlessly rescanning over and over again. It's the scanning equivalent of "measure twice, cut once".</p>

<p>Well, I must say, after scanning and carefully examining a dozen of my best Velvia slides, even the lowliest of my digital cameras is worlds ahead quality wise. I think I'll just put these slides back in the top of the closet and forge ahead with the new technology. Good by film!</p>

<p>Sanford,<br>

Before you completely give up on film, I would suggest having a few scanned on a drum scanner by an experienced operator. Even at a modest 4,000 ppi, some people feel the drum scan is far better than the equivalent Nikon scan. You may be pleasantly surprised and breathe new life into those past images!<br>

Respectfully,<br>

Jim</p>

<p>I just got the free trial non-pro of Vuescan. Nikon seems to have more options and I've used it long ago with good results. Also, the opinions I express on P/N have little or no actual value and should always be considered as such. </p>