MIS black only printing

<p>I've been looking at MIS Black Only inks for home printing, and I'm getting a bit confused with what the best set-up is.<br>

Since I last researched this, they they have come out with the Eboni-6 ink set. Reading the info on the MIS (inksupply) site and the info provided by Paul Roark it seems the Eboni-6 inks in a epson 1400 printer are the best set-up because the 6 inks provide very smooth prints; but within the same info it also says the epson R800/R1800 with its 3 black only inks provides the most neutral print. In your opinion whats the best set-up?<br>

Does anybody know if you could use the Eboni-6 inks in a epson R800 printer?<br>

Can you give me your opinion or experiences with either or both of these set-ups? I'd like to hear alternative set-up suggestions as well.<br>

Have a good night, I'll check back tomorrow.<br>

Many thanks.<br>

Peter</p>

<p>I can only comment on what I have experienced. I went for the 1400 and the Ebony-6. I have no regrets. My wife looked at me strangely as I unpacked a brand new printer and threw away the colour carts that came with it.</p>

<p>The ink is efficient and doesn't seem to even want to clog the printer. I have gone 6 months with out doing a print. Just cycle the heads and away we went.</p>

<p>One thing I will say about Paul's comments. It will work (and well) on gloss and mat. Your biggest issue would be learning QTR to make it all work.</p>

<p>have fun!</p>

<p>I'd sell the inks on Ebay rather than throwing them away : ) They're valuable!</p>

<p>What's your goal? Paul has a 1400 inkset that's a little more complicated but supremely flexible as it can do minor toning, print on matte and glossy and has gloss optimizer to eliminate gloss differential on gloss-type paper. The Eboni-6 is for the ultimate in longevity as it is just carbon without toners to make the image more neutral. </p>

<p>R800/R1800 3MK is a bit rough for my tastes, at least with my R1800. For many pictures that's okay, but I was printing images shot in fog with large smooth expanses and it really looked very grainy. </p>

<p>You can physically use just about any inkset in any printer, but you'll need to figure out how to use QTR to translate the settings from one printer to another. I found the program baffling and gave up. Try the digitalblackandwhitetheprint yahoo group for more detailed answers than you'll get here.</p>

<p>Thanks Peter & Roger.<br>

I'm planning on using the printer mainly for matte paper, but printing to glossy would also be desirable.<br>

What i'm really after is the ability to print totally neutral prints, that will last a long time.<br>

Could you tell me what papers your using?<br>

Roger, did you move to the 1400 printer with-out using QTR, or is that the only option?<br>

I'll check out the yahoo group today.</p>

<p>Many thanks.<br>

Peter</p>

<p>I use Epson Primium Photo Paper Semi-Gloss and Premium Presentation Paper Matte. I set the QTRGui up as follows.....</p>

<p>The printer is set to Quad1400 MIS (yes I am still using Eboni-6)</p>

<p>The curve setup for gloss is PK-Kirkland-Glossy-B0 and Matte is MK-PremierArt-MatteBW-B0</p>

<p>Under advanced adjustments use -6 for ink limit, -10 for gamma and adaptive hybrid.</p>

<p>Now I have a calibrated monitor with a colour of D50 and gamma of 1.8 and a make sure to use a GreyGamma 1.8 profile on my tiff to print.</p>

<p>I ended up moving back to my Epson R220 with the UTR2 inkset as I figured out I can print 8x12 on it by specially cutting the paper. My R1800 is dedicated to color now. The R220 is pretty stable (prints in a south-facing window look and measure well going on 2 years), easy to use (Epson driver) and I can tone prints by putting warm inks in the M, LM spots and cool in the C, LC spots. If I were going to get a printer today I'd go with the 1400 and more flexible MIS inkset and use the QTR presets and the Epson driver. QTR isn't hard to use when everything is set for you, but not fun to try to figure out how to make an inkset work.</p>

<p>For paper I'm partial to Innova Smooth White 315 for all my B&W needs. It's stiff enough to mount well, has reasonably deep blacks, doesn't scuff that easily and comes in many sizes. It works well with Eboni. Also try Museo Silver Rag for gloss-type prints that you want to tone warmly.</p>

<p>I tried to spell out the differences above. Better depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want the ultimate in longevity and don't mind using different papers to get different tones? Get Eboni 6. Do you want versatility and the ability tone prints slightly warm or cool? Get UT-14. </p>

<p>Either can make great prints.</p>

<p>Well it seams that you have some choices to make, and you pretty well have enough info to go.</p>

<p>As far as the 1400, Paul was bang on. A Friend of mine has a 3800 and the print quality is remarkably close (my opinion the 1400 is marginally better). I did prefer the blacks of the eboni over the epson. Sure, no roll feeder firewire or ethernet. Oh well.</p>

<p>Don't sweat the inks. Just pick one set and go. That is something you can always change later on.</p>

<p>Your info & opinion's are much appreciated. I put an order in for the 1400 yesterday, with the $120 rebate its just $430(AUD). I'm going to get the MIS CFS for the 1400 with Eboni-6 inks, and see how I go.</p>

<p>Now I just have to decide if I put in an original set of inks to test the printer or take a plunge and go for the cfs straight away.</p>

<p>Thanks again.<br>

Peter</p>

<p>Thanks Greg, but i'm not really interested in any color printing right now. Sorry for not making myself clear. The reason I was thinking of putting in the original set of inks was in case the printer is faulty. I've read some reports of epson not honouring the warranty if third party inks are used. Others say there's a way around it.</p>

<p>Roger, I think for the moment I plan on using the CFS with the ebony-6 inks straight away. I don't really want to clean the printer before I get to print B&W.</p>

<p>Thanks again.<br>

Peter</p>