Will I be able to use Canon Speedlite 430EX II with my older film cameras?

<p>Hello,<br>

I know this is a pretty basic question, but I am kind of a newbie to flash photography, and I want to brush it up. I am considering buying a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II for my Canon Rebel. I also shoot with an old 1940's Rolleiflex as well as quite a bit of Holga use, and sometimes a Hassie.<br>

So will I be able to use this modern flash with my older cameras and toy cameras? What issues or problems might there be? I am shooting portraits.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Jerry</p>

<p>I know that the flash will work with older canon EOS cameras. It will just meter in TTL instead of ETTL or ETTL II like it would with your digital cameras. So basically it just acts like the older canon speedlights would have.</p>

<p>I have no idea about trying to mix it with a Holga or a Hassie.</p>

<p>As noted, the 430EX II is capable of metering automatically with EOS film cameras using either TTL or E-TTL, depending on the camera. (actually one or two film cameras also use E-TTL II) However, you won't be able to perform automatic flash metering when using a non-EOS body. You'd have to put the unit into manual mode and set its output by hand. This can be inconvenient on a film body unless you've got a flash meter.</p>

<p>You can use the flash with almost any camera in what's usually called 'automatic' mode. It uses a sensor on the flash to determine exposure. Put the camera in manual, the flash in automatic, enter the iso and aperture settings manually onto the camera and flash, and the flash will do the work.</p>

<p>This method has worked fine since the 1970's with the introduction of the Vivitar 283, and still works today with almost all flashes and cameras.</p>

<p>>You can use the flash with almost any camera in what's usually called 'automatic' mode.<br>

Except that the 430EX II, which is the flash unit mentioned, hasn't got an autoflash mode and has no on-board flash sensor.</p>

<p>Damon, I feel your pain. I find myself using my three 283's that I purchased in the early 1980's MORE than my 580ex that I bought in 2008. Simple and to the point. Sure I didnt read all the specs buying the 580...but i expect for 4-500$ you'd at least get a built in optical slave. I guess what I'm saying is the 580 purchase is my only buyers remorse item, and I've bought a ton of canon stuff since 1980.</p>

<p>To the OP, I'd pick up a 285hv for use on the hassy and rollei tlr (and on eos if yoiu want to save a bunch of money, but read up on hot shoe voltages etc). Any flash should work fine on older camera if you sync them properly, ie pc sync cord. A flash meter is nice, I use one, but you can do the guide number/distance calculation thing, which is easier with the older film cameras if you can check it with a digicam first. I'm guessing any 283s or older 285s you buy used are trashed, and they are popular now with more folks getting the pocket wizards. Only thing make sure on your older cameras the flash sync is set to X and not M (flashbulb), if there is a choice. I think I got that right, once did a whole roll of formals on tlr and found out later with blank film returned my flash sync was set to M.</p>

<p> </p>