Weston Master V Light Meter

rob_ruttan

<p>I hope this is the right forum. My Weston Master V light meter has suddenly become unreliable. Sometimes it makes no response, sometimes on a bright sunny day it reads as though I'm in Dracula's basement. I guess these things must die eventually, but do they sometimes need recalibration? If so, does anyone know how?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p>I used Westons almost 50 years ago. They were inexpensive (around $35, I think). When one broke, which took a few years, you were best off throwing it away and getting a new meter. Today there are much more reliable meters available.</p>

<p>The meter consists of a selenium photocell that generates electricity when light plays on it. This cell design is also used in solar panels. It should last a long long time. The amount of electricity generated is proportional to the amount of light energy. The meter movement is a galvanoscope. This is a spring-loaded needle with a jewel bearing. This is the same principle as the jewels in a pocket watch. Likely, the jewels on both sides of the shaft need oil. Take it to an old school watch repair shop if you can find one. Just tell him to oil the jewels; he will know how.</p>

<p>Solar panels actually use silicon cells, which have a higher output. Selenium cells can last an incredibly long time or have a short life- it's hard to predict. The meter in my early 50's Voigtlander Vitessa L still responds, but it is off by a couple of stops. OTOH, the meter in one of my late father's old Weston meters (don't remember the model) no longer responds at all. A much newer Scout selenium meter that I have, though, requires setting the ISO to 1600 to get a reading that is sensible for ISO 400. To the original question, if it reads low by the same amount it might be recalibrated or at least the ISO could be set to compensate. If sometimes it doesn't respond, it may be time to replace it.</p>