Finally. A tripod that makes me laugh.

steven_p

<p>The tripod appears to be built on the same principle as tent poles which have so-called "shock cords" inside them. White canes for the blind sometimes work the same way. The result can be stable or flimsy -- it depends on the strength and weight of the poles, their design and construction.</p>

<p>I got those poles on my Harrison changing tent. Its not exactly solid but I think it will do the job for small P+S digicams. It would be a pain to put away I think. Having to fold 3 legs at the same time will be like wrestling with a disabled octopus.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now try adjusting the leg length...Now try adjusting the leg length...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Simple. You use an axe.</p>

<p>I just got a mental picture of one of the many on photo.net who don't believe that anything short of a CF Gitzo and Arca Swiss head could possibly do. Its Christmas morning, and he's just opened one of these. It's from his daughter, and she's looking at him ----.</p>

<p>"Its Christmas morning, and he's just opened one of these. It's from his daughter, and she's looking at him ----"</p>

<p>David, at that point, it's not longer about the tripod...</p>

<p>Actually, I used to have a backpacking tent with poles rigged like this. What made them work was the fact that they were stressed by being bent to fit the tent's curvature. Without that, the poles were loose and useless. Aside from that they were pretty easy to set up and take down. But then, one day, the elastic cord breaks...</p>

<p>I'd like to see someone accidently put their several $1,000 camera on it and watch the legs spread out flat to the ground and the camera bounces off the ground and the photographer has a wide-eyed, dumbfounded look. That's probably how they tested it (weight instead of camera) and found the "Oops" weight.</p>

<p>My first impression was "WTF"<br>

Then I thought, gee, they would be nice and light - perfect to hold a speedlight. Oh, but only if you are using AA batteries in the speedlight. It won't hold a Quantum Turbo battery.<br>

So, I decided it was useless.<br>

Then I had an idea.<br>

It would be a perfect frame for a light tent when you go outside to shoot macros or close-ups of flowers or bugs. It's light so you can easily toss it in your bag, it assembles quickly, and can easily be placed over top of your subject. Quickly wrap a piece of white rip-stop nylon around it and leave an opening at the top of poke you lens through where the ends of the nylon meet. Perfct light tent PLUS it blocks any breeze from moving the plant.</p>

<p>As a tripod, it's a fun but useless idea. I might get one, though, for shooting close up nature shots.</p>

<p>i actually have that :) i got it cause i wanted something easy that i can take with my bike or just walking and not having to carry too much... and it looked so nifty in the movie :D</p>

<p>i own a nikon D90 and i have to say the first few times i put it on i didn't step more that a meter away from the tripod :) it's not that stable and the legs move individually, and if you're not careful you just might smash your camera with this, even now after 4-5 months since i got it i still sometimes keep the camera "<em>belt</em>"(can't remember the english word) in my hand while shooting with the remote.</p>

<p>now after using it a few times i have to say on one hand is nice to carry around it's half as heavy as the d90 and if put on solid ground is quite decent and actually can be used as a monopod too... this is something definetly not for clumsy people or for people with heavy or expensive equipment, i think the maximum load is around 1,5 kg (3pounds).</p>

<p>i have to say this is something for people that travel with their cameras all the time and you never know when you find something worth shooting but you have nothing to hold the camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i own a nikon D90 and i have to say the first few times i put it on i didn't step more that a meter away from the tripod :) it's not that stable and the legs move individually, and if you're not careful you just might smash your camera with this</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So let me get this straight....it's not STABLE...and while set-up the legs move INDIVIDUALLY...and if I'm not careful I might smash my CAMERA. Hmm sounds like a great idea for a tripod. Just don't breathe when you take the picture or the camera might start moving...</p>

<p> </p>